AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Handbrake n00b here.

Currently ripping my Dad's 500+ DVD library to a Mediasonic Probox (4x2TB) to play with his Oppo bdp-95.

Once those are on the Probox, I will be encoding them using handbrake.

I found this thread perusing the forums here that has a lot of great setups, but it is rather old:
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic...5bd0&start=275

Just wondering if the information there is outdated for encoding settings.

MAIN priority is quality & streamability (both LAN & WAN). Could care less about file size, we've got 8TB of HDDs in the server, which is a playground of space for encodes =]

I plan on queuing up the ISOs and letting the i7 2600K munch through them whenever I'm not ripping. I can usually rip ~25 DVDs in 2 hours w/the two drives I have installed.

If there are any pertinent threads with known good settings, just point me there, I don't want anyone to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 /forum/post/20904411

Handbrake n00b here.

Currently ripping my Dad's 500+ DVD library to a Mediasonic Probox (4x2TB) to play with his Oppo bdp-95.

Once those are on the Probox, I will be encoding them using handbrake.

I found this thread perusing the forums here that has a lot of great setups, but it is rather old:
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic...5bd0&start=275

Just wondering if the information there is outdated for encoding settings.

MAIN priority is quality & streamability (both LAN & WAN). Could care less about file size, we've got 8TB of HDDs in the server, which is a playground of space for encodes =]

I plan on queuing up the ISOs and letting the i7 2600K munch through them whenever I'm not ripping. I can usually rip ~25 DVDs in 2 hours w/the two drives I have installed.

If there are any pertinent threads with known good settings, just point me there, I don't want anyone to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

I recommend you take a look at the "Official" Oppo BDP-95 Owners Thread in the Blu-ray section of the forum to find out what people are using. I would recommend the DVD native VIDEO_TS file structure but the Oppo BDP-95 doesn't seem to handle these well. I use this structure for my HTPCs.

After a quick look in the Oppo owners thread, it seems people are using MKV containers which Handbrake will generate, but you will need to play with the settings. I recommend that you start with the Handbrake Apple "Universal" preset and experiment with the video quality slider. I use this preset with a .MP4 container and it works well on many different playback devices including my Linksys media extender, netbooks, my wife's ipad, and my Android phone. Handbrake generates a ~1 GB file with the default preset settings. I expect you are looking for higher quality, but you can use the constant quality slider to increase the quality beyond "20".

Tim

·
Registered
70 Posts
If quality is what your after then just rip with MakeMKV. Only takes about 30-40 minutes per dvd (primarily depends on the speed of your bd/dvd player). Handbrake can be difficult at times and can take one, two, or more hours depending on the amount of compression (meaning loss of quality) chosen and the power of your cpu. If size matters and quality is not the top priority, then use handbrake. Note that handbrake will not rip most blue rays so you will have also need a separate ripping program. I only use handbrake if I want to put a movie on my ipad/iphone/galaxy tab.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.