AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time since I got the HD-100 around 3/22/01, I have found the receiver apparently "locked up" today. I never turn power off, and am only OTA until I put the elliptical installed.

When I first turned on the TV today, I noticed I was selecting DTV on my TV and saw channel 5.3 (my best signal strength channel but with drop outs every 5 - 10 seconds) was on. However, the "Searching for digital signal" label was also on top of the picture which was receiving reasonably well at that moment. I changed channels to FOX (13.1) and got nothing, not even the "Searching for digital signal" label. Same on each channel I selected after that except when I get back to 5.3, the label is there but no picture. The label does not flicker at all.

I then tried several operations to see if things would "pop" back in, to no avail. I ended up pulling the AC plug, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in and things were then back to normal. Of course, I had to reset the clock.

This is second lock up and I vaguely remember the first being similar, but not sure. I guess I will add this one to my event reported to SONY today. That event is 1) The fan, 2) program info on the guide or lack thereof, and the drop outs on NBC 5.3 OTA.

I guess the processor can lock up like my PC? I just keep telling myself that SONY will fix these things eventually.

Bill

PS I am starting to think my NBC 5.3 problem is PISP problem, not signal strength or multipath related. Coincidently, the above problem apperaed to start on my problem channel NBC 5.3 who won't answer my email.

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 04-12-2001).]

·
Registered
168 Posts
I spoke to Sony about the King 5.3 problem in Seattle specifically, just now, and they claim that engineering is "aware of the problem" and working on a fix, but he was unable to state anything else, like -

- Would the fix be in software or require servicing the unit

- When?

He did indicate that Sony would probably post a message through the DirecTV messaging system if/when there was a fix, but I don't know if we can really rely on this to happen.

Let's make sure we Seattleoids keep in touch on this - we've obviously all hit the same problem, and it may just as easily be Sony's fault as KING's...

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andy,

Thanks for info. I really have no idea if its KING or SONY.I suspect that whatever the fix, it will be software because I firmly believe SONY would not put a product on the market that would need hardware upgrade. Of course there is the fan. It is no louder to me than the fan on my PC. I only hear it because I have not put it into the cabinet yet. With a processor in the box, it probably needs the fan since it needs to be powered up for downloads of programs, software, security,etc.

I read an interesting article in TV Technology that indicates the FCC, in addition to reaffirming the 8VSB modulation standard, made several "tweaks" to its DTV rules. It goes on to say that the biggest change was the adoption of a "City Grade" coverage requirement for DTV stations. Previously a DTV application only had to propose facilities that would encompass its community of license with the "DTV threshold contour". The City Grade contours adopted by the FCC are all 7 dB higher than the DTV threshold contours.

It goes on to say that "Proposed or authorized DTV facilities that do not place a City Grade contour over the community of license will be required to at least increase power so as to provide such coverage, and, in some cases to also relocate their DTV facilities."

I suspect that the local Seattle channels are not broadcasting at full power. I saw one thread here today where a Sacramento TV engineer reports it costs his station $6000 per month to run the transmitter t full power. Why do that if the programming is not there yet? Anyway..

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do wonder if there will be any sort of fix for people who use the sony for only OTA HD programing (as I do... or rather will in about 1 week when it arrives)

Ben

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ben,

My understanding is that the way to get upgrades quickly requires a path from Directv. I am sure they could do it if you sent the receiver itself in for service. Its kind of a "conundrum" isn't it? Could they download via the modem?

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrewsi,

Got anything new re this? I have now spoken with SONY for the third week and nothing. Last guy tried to get me to send in unit. I said "Are there any fixes?" He said no. I said, then why should I send it in?

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I suppose we'll find out how us HDTV OTA people will upgrade once they release the fix, hopefully we'll be able to just use the internal modem to do it.

Ben

[This message has been edited by holysin (edited 05-02-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.