AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading the TV in my bedroom to an HDTV and want a good budget HD media player to go with it. For the past few years I've had a 50' S-video cable running from my computer room to bedroom but it is unsightly. The actual distance between rooms is probably in the 15-20' range.

From what I understand I can't really go the wireless route since I have a G router, and even the N's can't stream 1080p seamlessly over a home network. Would another option be to get an HD Media Player with a built in hard drive and network it into computer so that I can move files and play it off the HD seamlessly? Will there be a workable menu system or will I have to swap around hard drives?

For my HDTV downstairs I've been playing files off of a laptop but I don't want to do that in my bedroom. There must be a pain free way of doing this so that I don't have to leave the room to change movies.

Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiancarl
I am upgrading the TV in my bedroom to an HDTV and want a good budget HD media player to go with it. For the past few years I've had a 50' S-video cable running from my computer room to bedroom but it is unsightly. The actual distance between rooms is probably in the 15-20' range.

From what I understand I can't really go the wireless route since I have a G router, and even the N's can't stream 1080p seamlessly over a home network. Would another option be to get an HD Media Player with a built in hard drive and network it into computer so that I can move files and play it off the HD seamlessly? Will there be a workable menu system or will I have to swap around hard drives?

For my HDTV downstairs I've been playing files off of a laptop but I don't want to do that in my bedroom. There must be a pain free way of doing this so that I don't have to leave the room to change movies.

Thanks.
I currently have that set up... basically when you access the internal hard drive of the media player it is as simple as opening windows explorer and seeing all the media files... Some media players that have internal hard drive support also functions as a Network Attached Server when connected to your router - it can stream, share, transfer files to any other device on your home network... you don't need to swap hard drives... some media players with internal hard drive support has a client USB support so it also functions like an external hard drive when connected to your PC if you want faster file transfers through USB than over the ethernet cable...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/19580328

I currently have that set up... basically when you access the internal hard drive of the media player it is as simple as opening windows explorer and seeing all the media files... Some media players that have internal hard drive support also functions as a Network Attached Server when connected to your router - it can stream, share, transfer files to any other device on your home network... you don't need to swap hard drives... some media players with internal hard drive support has a client USB support so it also functions like an external hard drive when connected to your PC if you want faster file transfers through USB than over the ethernet cable...

And do you like your system? Find it easy and not annoying? Transferring large 1080p size files over USB 2.0 or WiFi sounds painful. And putting all of my media files on a few external hard drives and walking it back and forth seems a bit of a pain too.

It is tough to gauge which is the best way to go. Basically looking for ease of use and quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts