·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at three models here from differnet companies

Pioneer VSX-21TXH

Denon AVR-890

Yamaha RX-1065 (or even RX-V765)

All will suite my needs as far as I can tell. Here's where I'm stuck on features.
  • Yamaha's are 7.2 models - will I really ever need two subs?

Pioneer is THX certified - Needed?

I can't tell which ones do true HMDI 1080p passthru

Denon upconversion is only to 1080i

1065 has HD radio built in - Worth it?

MCaCC vs Audyssy vs YPAO Auto-calibration - Which is best and tunable?

Elite carries 2 yr warranty

Any input on these items would be greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
7.2, dual sub output: They are just convenience jacks. If you have more than one sub, you can easily do the same on any other model with Y-splitter. Now if those 2 jacks had independent room EQ filters for them, that would be a feature -- but I'm not sure what .2 models do that, if any yet (they'd be higher end).

THX certification needed? I, and probably most around here would say no, and that other AVRs perform just as well (unless you're driving 4 ohm speakers or such). Some people may want to use the THX processing modes that, I guess, are only on THX models.

They should all pass 1080p fine, assuming those are new models (I just know the Denon
).

Denon will certainly upscale to 1080p. Definitely for SD (480i) input. I'm not sure if the new models [can] also process HD 720p/1080i to 1080p too or not; I think so -- last year's models (1909/789, 2309/889, etc.) would not.

HD radio worth it? Depends if you listen to the radio much I guess
, and have stations in your area that you're interested in, and if you want, presumably, better quality (reception?) from them.

I just have a Denon and Audyssey, but from what I've read, Audyssey is the one I'd want.
The Dynamic EQ feature really makes movies (or anything mixed at proper reference levels) come alive when listening below reference levels! I think THX's Loudness Plus is supposed to do something like that, but from what I understand, it does NOT use setup's measurements from the room to "hear" how loud a certain signal level is at a certain volume, which Audyssey DEQ uses to know how much to "boost" different parts of the sound so the perceived loudness balance is correct.

Denons also have a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank the input.

I recently sold my older pre-HDMI switching Elite reciever with the MCaCC calibration. It seemed to work ok except for the voice channel. Always seemed to soft for me though so I turned it up manually. I've heard the Audessy is not ajustable once it sets up the room. Is this true?

Good to hear on the warranty.

That narrows it down to either the VSX-21TXH or AVR-890. The Pio being $150 - $200 less, however, and having fewer HDMI & Digital ports.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not adjustable with Audyssey means that you can't adjust bass/treble (I think) or the few bands of the manual EQ while MultEQ is turned on. You can adjust any channel levels (including sub), distances, and/or crossovers (shouldn't lower them, but raising above what Auto setup picked is fine) though. [On Denons anyway,] You can also copy the Audyssey Flat curve (the regular one has slight high-frequency rolloff) to the manual EQ and then make changes, but in this case (with manual EQ) it's only operating in the frequency domain, without the time domain adjustments you also get with MultEQ running. Hope that made some sense.

Denon Warranty info , for reference; Direct link to PDF of New equipment warranty terms .

Not sure about the prices you're talking about (I only know the Denons), but 6ave.com has the AVR-2310CI for $549 with free shipping using coupon code AFLDEN549
(don't know how long it lasts). That's the 4 digit "CI" version of the 890 and has a $50 higher MSRP...

Does the Pioneer have the ability to overlay the on-screen display (and volume adjustment, etc.) over HD/HDMI signals like the Denon?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
about HD radio -- is it possible to add that somehow to the denon 2310/890 ?

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts