AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks,

I'm currently searching for a sub to complete a 5.1 system. The speakers I've got are:

Polk Monitor 70 x2

Polk CS2

Polk Monitor 30 x2

I use the speakers primarily for music--about 65%. The rest of the usage is primarily movies with some interactive media. In terms of volume I am not a fan of listening to music at extremely loud levels.

I also entertain guests and throw cocktail parties quite often--I would like for a sub to be able to impress guests at volume levels appropriate for these kinds of occasions. I would need a sub that can perform well from artists as varied as Kanye West, of whose banality you are all doubtless aware, to Ligeti, whose work is abstract nearly to the point of atonality.

Size is not a particular concern. I don't have my exact room measurements yet--I may be able to get them to you guys soon--but I would describe it as solidly "average."

My budget is around $600. The main subs I have been considering, after reading these forums extensively are:

Hsu VTF-2

Epik Legend (though I may pass because of the two week delay before the order is shipped)

Rythmik FV12

REL T3

My primary question is the difference in 'musicality' between the T3 and VTF-2. RELs use of Neutrik connectors impresses me, though I'm only a layman when it comes to AV. Most people on this board seem to prefer the HSU over REL however.

Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have been looking for one around the same budget. I was recommended one of the first 3. Apparently HSU is the tried and tested one and been there for a while now. The FV12 is newer, apparently a better choice from many views I have heard, especially for music. Regarding playing loud people would require your room size.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Another couple of subs in the 600 ballpark are the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus and the Elemental Designs A3-300. I think either will have more output than the ones you listed, and both will do terrifically for music. If you are out to impress, I think either of the above will do that well, especially at lower frequencies. The ED sub is backordered though, so if you need one right away, I wouldn't bother with that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.