AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading different threads for hours now and I am no seeking some recommendations for my new HT room.

Current Setup:

Display : Mitsubishi HC4900 PJ w/ 124" WilsonArt DW Screen

Xbox 360 : First Gen running at 1080P through Component.

HD-DVD A2 : 1080i via HDMI

HD Cable : Can do either component or HDMI

(Future Purchase) Sony PS3 : 1080P through HDMI

What I want is a receiver that does the following:

* Has multiple HDMI inputs (2-4), but does not change the signals. For example does not convert my Xbox360 1080p signal to 1080i or 720p. So I believe what I want is HDMI video pass-thru correct?

EDIT: I don't think any receiver will allow a 1080p signal over component stay 1080p when it is sent through by HDMI to the display. So I would need a component out on the receiver.

* Supports newer audio formats for BD and HD-DVD like TrueHD and DolbyHD. So I guess that means HDMI 1.3a support right?

* Does not break the bank ($400 or less would be Great!)

I'm not sure if what I'm asking for exists at the requested price point. Basically I would like the next generation audio codec support without the expensive video processors that come with it. If my projector can handle 1080p and my dvd player can upconvert just fine; Why would I need any of the next generation video scalers included in the receiver.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
* Supports newer audio formats for BD and HD-DVD like TrueHD and DolbyHD. So I guess that means HDMI 1.3a support right?

Not necessarily. None of the sources listed can deliver an advanced-codec bitstream for an AVR to decode. The A2 and PS3 decode TrueHD internally and send it via HDMI as LPCM. They will send the "core" of DTS-HD. This can be handled by a basic HDMI 1.1 audio receiver.

It may be that a 1.3 receiver does all the other stuff you want, though, it's just not required to get all the lossless audio your sources are capable of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/13007889

Not necessarily. None of the sources listed can deliver an advanced-codec bitstream for an AVR to decode. The A2 and PS3 decode TrueHD internally and send it via HDMI as LPCM. They will send the "core" of DTS-HD. This can be handled by a basic HDMI 1.1 audio receiver.

It may be that a 1.3 receiver does all the other stuff you want, though, it's just not required to get all the lossless audio your sources are capable of.

Interesting. Upon further review the Onkyo 605 is looking pretty good at a price tag just under 4 bills.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, as mentioned earlier, you don't have to get a receiver with HDMI 1.3, there are a lot of good options with receivers that only support 1.2. I have an A2 as well, and am also in the market for a Blu-Ray player, possibly the PS3.

My budget was also in the sub-$400 range, and I wound up with an Onkyo 605. Its big limitation: component sources will only output at a max of 720p over HDMI, but you can have component out alongside HDMI out, and that will let you pass the component signal along unaltered (but with more cabling). Also, the 605 can't matrix 5.1 audio over HDMI into 7.1. So, if you have a 7.1 speaker setup, a lot of TrueHD material seems to be 5.1, and the 605 can't put the back surround speakers to use. Stepping up to the 705 addresses that shortcoming, but might exceed your budget. But, for the price range it does support a ton of features.

You might also consider looking at the Yamaha 661. I really liked it, but couldn't find it in my price range when I was shopping. Still, it is worth looking at, because you might find it less expensive now.

For me, even though I don't need an AVR to decode TrueHD and DTS-MA at the moment, I like knowing I have it available because that gives me more flexibility in selecting a Blu-Ray player. For example, the Panasonic DMP-BD30K doesn't do internal decoding for these formats, but otherwise looks to be a great player. With my 605, I could buy this unit, if my AVR didn't decode, my choices would be more limited. If you decide on the PS3, then you have the flexibility to choose from a wider range of receivers, such as the 661.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you decide that you can live without HDMI 1.3, you might consider the Marantz SR4001 or SR5001. Good prices for new units, even better prices for refurbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts