AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,491 Posts
So it debuts next week but they could only provide a picture of a dvd dispenser.

I guess none of the $35 mil. was going to be squandered on marketing.

Go Tosh!



If only I could find the window where they're throwing the money out of...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,660 Posts

Quote:
Consumers must be sold on yet another format. They'll be asked to load a $20 movie onto a memory card that they also must buy, and that might appear small and frail next to proven disk technology. Only a few of the big studios, meanwhile, have signed on to sell movies that can be downloaded to the memory cards.

Few = ?

Quote:
Mod Systems also must convince retailers to embrace the kiosks. Studios, meanwhile, know that retailers still sell the vast majority of their disks. They might be inclined to for now keep the store chains happy, which they aren't with digital downloads.
Quote:
Mod Systems also has Toshiba, which not only is smarting from losing HD DVD but is a partner in manufacturing SD cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
Even coming from an ardent HD-DVD supporter (me), this is getting kinda ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
After this latest fiasco, I vowed never to touch another Toshiba product ever again. Can anyone remind me what Toshiba has done in the AV community recently aside from their massive faillures in SED and HD DVD. Nothing they make is remotely worth buying.... I'm trying to thing of a quality, mid-high-end Toshiba gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I'm still waiting for some details from CES. They could make it work if done right with some innovation. What I don't want to see is one of their upconverting players simply with an SD card slot. I'd rather have some kind of media extender or DVR that combines a hard drive or such in addition to the SD card slot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/15428079


Nothing they make is remotely worth buying.... I'm trying to think of a quality, mid-high-end Toshiba gear.

Normally I would agree (Toshiba and "Quality CE" has never fit real well together in my book), but the XA2 is among the exceptions: I would put my HD805 (XA2 clone) up against most any piece of CE out there in terms of quality...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 /forum/post/15428188


Normally I would agree (Toshiba and "Quality CE" has never fit real well together in my book), but the XA2 is among the exceptions: I would put my HD805 (XA2 clone) up against most any piece of CE out there in terms of quality...

I was going to mention the XA2. A very rare instance where they actually delivered a quality player.


However, let's look at the major players:


Sony: Excellent XBR line of LCD, the now defunct but phenominal SXRD, Their SXRD projectors are equally great.


Panasonic: Great Plasma tech and pioneers in Blu-ray players. And their AE Projector lineups are among the best selling projectors in the world.


Samsung: Equally good with Plasma and LCD. Pioneers in LED DLP technology.


Pioneer: Plasma Gods! The end!


Mitsubishi: Laser tech gurus. Also makes the largest rear projection tvs. Well revered in the Projector world.


Sharp: The Aquos line of LCDs are well known and their high end projectors are great.


JVC: Their LCOS rear projections were very nice, and they are the masters of LCOS projection technology. Their RS projectors are still king.

Every one of these major brands contributes something unique and evolutionary to their field except...........One Brand:


Toshiba: Their Regza line is the only thing they have, and it's still crap compared to the similarly priced Aquos line. I'm seriously sitting here trying to think of something made by Toshiba that I'd be willing to buy that isn't bested by another brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/15428279


I was going to mention the XA2. A very rare instance where they actually delivered a quality player.


However, let's look at the major players:


Sony: Excellent XBR line of LCD, the now defunct but phenominal SXRD, Their SXRD projectors are equally great.


Panasonic: Great Plasma tech and pioneers in Blu-ray players. And their AE Projector lineups are among the best selling projectors in the world.


Samsung: Equally good with Plasma and LCD. Pioneers in LED DLP technology.


Pioneer: Plasma Gods! The end!


Mitsubishi: Laser tech gurus. Also makes the largest rear projection tvs. Well revered in the Projector world.


Sharp: The Aquos line of LCDs are well known and their high end projectors are great.


JVC: Their LCOS rear projections were very nice, and they are the masters of LCOS projection technology. Their RS projectors are still king.

Every one of these major brands contributes something unique and evolutionary to their field except...........One Brand:


Toshiba: Their Regza line is the only thing they have, and it's still crap compared to the similarly priced Aquos line. I'm seriously sitting here trying to think of something made by Toshiba that I'd be willing to buy that isn't bested by another brand.

Agreed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
Wishing Toshiba a very Happy BLU Year.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,534 Posts
Oh my god, more anti BD rubbish.


So let's see, first I can buy a few mp3s, then I might be able to get a few SD DVDs on another memory card that I have to buy, that I can't control, that apparently I have to buy more hardware for.


Or, I could go to the amazon store and buy them to my PC, and to BB - amongst others - and rent a SD DVD if the desire so took me.


Where do I queue up?



I left a comment for the nice HD DVD Troll there as well. This is turning into a great morning!



Seggers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,171 Posts
It might not make much headway but it just adds to the list of things Blu Ray has to contend with which can not be good. As for myself, I will never buy another Toshiba product again after the way they handled the HD DVD fiasco!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
First there have been kiosks that will put music on a card for around a year now and I haven't seen any signs of them taking off. From a video perspective they could probably offer oodles of SD titles. But the world is moving on from SD now.


From an HD perspective before they offer a movie in HD here has to be an HD movie available. Just because Toshiba enters the market with another format doesn't mean that there will suddenly be hundreds of thousands of encodes available in HD. They could do like they did with HD-DVD and pay a studio to roll out a few big titles early and tie the titles up. At this point though it would just piss off the installed BD base. With so many titles coming out now it is also questionable how effective that would be.
 
1 - 20 of 258 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top