AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general are DLP and/or LCD RPTV's better at off-axis (horizontal) viewing then there standard RPTV brethren? what about compared to each other?

I've search the forum, but most of the off-axis info is on somewhat outdated models and I'm assuming the new sets are "better".

I've looked seriously at the 50" Samsung DLP and the 50" Sony LCD GW II. Personally I loved the Sony which surprised me, but unfortunately because of those stupid speakers on the side it won't quite fit in my 52" wide "media nook"... So now I'm contemplating everything else (RCA Scenium, etc...). I'm stuck with it being an LCD or DLP RPTV because that same media nook is shallow (24 or 30 inches as I recall) . I currently have a 46" PDP and am not 100% satisfied with it, but the upcoming 50" 6UY Panny is still a possibility (although an expensive one I'm trying to keep cost as far below 4k as possible)...

Anyway, I'd LOVE advice as to which set it best for my situation, but know better than to ask that... So if some people would please just comment on the off-axis question and if certain brands technologies are better I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
231 Posts
In order of off axis viewing quality, best to worst.

#1-Plasma

#2-DLP/LCD RPTV

#3-CRT RPTV

although the newer CRT RPTV are improved they still have the well know "sweet spot" and probably always will.

IMO if you can afford the 50" 6UY Panny upon arrival I would go that route. Plasmas are expensive but by far the best in every aspect including off-axis viewing.

The only caveat being you said "media nook"? If your concerned about burn-in, plasmas can potentially, potentially cause a problem though most with longterm sets are not reporting any problems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compfan,

Thanks for the response. I "thought" the DLP/LCD's RPTV's were better than the CRT RPTV's at off-axis but it's nice to have some confirmation.

I'm still wondering how LCD compares to DLP in terms of off-axis. Is the no difference? and which if any current model sets are "better" or "worse" than others.

Regarding the media nook/burn-in issue. If you meant the high-temp of plasmas, the nook is well ventilated. If you meant burn-in of image I usually watch 4:3 TV stretched slightly with the top and bottom cropped off slightly. I prefer this to the "full stretch" and/or the "letter/side boxing".

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jon =the Snny GW3 should be out available at a few retailers. These being non-XBR models have the speakers underneath the display rather than the sides. You can go on the Sony website to confirm the dimension and see if it fits the bill.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh I am so annoyed....

I found the KF-50WE610 and got really excited until I read the specs and discovered it's the exact same width as the KF-50XBR800

B*ST*RDS!!!! I want a GWIII that is 52" wide...

Hmm... I'm jsut going to keep looking until I find one I like or the new 50" Panny PDP finally comes out...

Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.