Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Another useless little experiment.

Please note that my machine was ISFed at Brightness =50, Contrast =75 and I have a light controlled room with grey painted walls. I have a 6pg

Most of the time when I calibrate my projector using Avia I would turn on the projector with a movie playing, leave the room and come back in 20 to 30 minutes, then I would use Avia and calibrate my CS-1 settings. If I left the Cs-1 settings at 0 the image would look dark. so I would calibrate the CS-1 and the image would look great at CS-1 settings of B=-14, Contrast =21.

Well I was sick and decided to try a little experiment this morning.

I set the CS-1 settings to B=0 and C=0 and then watched the movie for about 1 hour. After the hour I went to calibrate projector and reduced the CRt brightness to 37, the CS-1 settings stayed at 0.

I went to review some of my demo DVD and it was like eye candy. the whites weren't overpowering is some scenes as before and there was great shadow details.

The trick is: the image seem just as bright before and not dim.

I then left the room intentionally for 30 minutes and went back. You got it, the image seemed really dark and shadow detail seem to missing. Rather than increasing the brightness or contrast, I let my eyes adjust for approx 15 to 20 min then like magic all the shadow details start appearing as my eyes adjusted.

I know most of us know this but how many times we want instant gratification and rather then let our eyes adjust we turn up the brightness or contrast.

clopez

·
Registered
412 Posts
I find your comments interesting. I've found that my seven year old son can see much better in the dark than I can (I'm 40) when the lights are first turned off. On my next visit, I was planning on asking my opthamologist whether aging affects one's ability to quickly adjust to the dark. I suspect it does.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have found having some very passive incandescent lighting in the field of view of the screen also used to increase the perceived contrast of dark scenes and also took out the effect of "geez thats bright" when it went to a paarticularly bright scene after a few minutes in the dark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.