AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I know we have all seen the builds for these amazing MTM setups so I will not go too crazy with it. Just wanted to post some pics and some thoughts of the final product. I re-did the center channel and added 2 additional for front mains. I wasn't completely happy with the outcome of the original center channel. I did a 5/8" round-over all over and it just didn't look right. So on these ones I only did the round over on the front face. I also finished that one with Duratex and on these ones I wanted to do more of a painted finish, which meant I had to do a better job of priming and sanding. I decided to use Bondo instead of wood filler. PLEASE if you decide to use Bondo, make sure you know what you are doing and read directions. I thought I knew what I was doing but ran out of time and let it sit curing for a week while life took over and it was incredibly hard to remove. Had to bring out the belt sander. Went with 2 coats of Kilz primer with 300 grit sanding in between coats. Then 2 coats of Valspar Satin Black from Lowes. Let it dry for about 3 days in the garage, its been in the low 30's here so it took longer than normal to dry. As I have mentioned before I am not a fan of the purple cones on the mids so they have been painted flat black. Another hint, if you decide to try these, I suggest paying the extra money and getting the crossovers build already. The build quality is amazing and its nice to be ready to go. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Looks good! How do you like the sound so far? What did you upgrade from and could you offer any comparison to your old stuff?

Isn't a center available with the waveguide rotated?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes the center is now made horizontal and the mains are as well. I ordered the older version for the mains since I already had the center the same way. I was told on an earlier post that it wouldn't make too much of a difference which was they are.

As far as the sound, its AMAZING! I have them set to 80hz and from there down the subs take over. The voices sound as if the person is sitting in front of me. We were watching Walking Dead last night with the lights off and you really could not tell where the sounds and voices where coming from. Together they made an amazing front stage. Everything was in front of us. The efficiency is also great. I normally would listen to the movies at -20 or so on the receiver, with these I can do as low as -35 and still have plenty of volume to hear everything.

I have to be honest I only had really small bookshelf speakers before these, but before the small bookshelves I had decent Klipsch towers that cost a lot more than these sets. These sound much better than those, the Klipsch were 6" and these are 8" so that might be it but it has more to do with the sound. It is not tin-ey it is more realistic sound. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Dave,

I missed your thread here somehow. Anyhow, nice work on these. They compliment your Marty subs very well from a look perspective.

Nice tv stand to. You make that? It fits your new center, like a glove.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kevin, yes I made the stand also. We've had the entertainment center for almost 15 years and the wifey wouldn't let me get rid of it since it's the last piece of furniture we have from our California days. So I built around it. As far as the MTM I am already thinking of ways to redo them. Want to cover them with a grill and possibly move the ports to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You might be able to get the center channel baffle from DIYSG if you ask real nice. I'm not sure if the crossover was re-worked for it though. Maybe you could even get the crossover too. I know they don't sell individual pieces but maybe they'd make an exception since you already have the kits. Just a thought if you decide to re-do them. I think they look great as is.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would I need a new crossover if I move the ports to the back? Same size box just moving the ports to make room around the speakers to mount the grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
+1 for for a great looking set, fit and finish . .

without sounding to out of it . . there are 1099's?
I have the Klipsch F-3 towers but I would like to move up from the icon -25 MTM center . . .
fusion quad 4 comes to mind
hope to hear more about moving the ports

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Idea...

Magnetic grills would be pretty easy to do. The grill itself could also be metal, and that would look good.

( Google the chase sho-10 for an example if you'd like )

·
Registered
973 Posts
+1 for for a great looking set, fit and finish . .

without sounding to out of it . . there are 1099's?
I have the Klipsch F-3 towers but I would like to move up from the icon -25 MTM center . . .
fusion quad 4 comes to mind
hope to hear more about moving the ports
I actually owned the Klipsch F3 at one time. Any of the Seos designs will be a significant step up from those Klipsch F3's and Icon center. I have experience with the Fusion12 Tempest and the Fusion8 Alchemy as well as several other models, all of which would completely destroy the F3 and Icon center!

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
thanks for the input,
some surfing at the DIYSG site and the space I have would let me do 3 of the same across the front,
even up to the fusion 15:eek:
and all the wave guides would be in line . . .:D

interesting

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts

this newly created space under the TV, 30.5 high and 73 across underneath

full of possibilities . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts