AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my MX-700 working with all my equipment and pretty much doing everything I want. However I never could figure out how to use the .mxd, .mfx or .ccf files. I ended up having the MX-700 learn all the commands from my five remotes. I had a few 're-do's" but it learned everything perfectly. I got the few macros I need working just fine too.

My question is -- What am I missing by not using the files that are available at remotecentral.com? I was able to download an .mxd file and bring it into the software - but I couldn't get all the pages to work or figure out all the cryptic labels the author used. None of my devices are in the MX-700 database.

So basically I have two questions - am I missing any functionality by using only the learning feature. And if so, just how do I use the programming feature of the software.

Thanks

PS - I do love this remote. It seems to be so very reliable. In all my testing, all the signals were clearly received by my equipment.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wander over to Remote Central; they have a Files area and it sounds like you may want to download the manual for the 700.

Frankly, the .ccf files (at Remote Central) are easier to us because you can drag & drop individual commands to the 700 using the Universal Browser in MX Editor. Access it using the next to last icon on the tool bar.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Ray - I did download a file for my TV from remotecentral.com. I was even able to bring it into the software and look at it. But I when I tested the remote - only one page was on my remote even though there were three pages showing on the software. Also - I couldn't figure out how to download multiple files and use them all as my devices. I did printout the programming manual and also went through the tutorial.

I guess I want to know what I am missing by using the learn feature instead of using the files. Also any hints as to how to acutally make the files work would really be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
What you might be missing are commands not on your original remotes that are helpful for reliable macros. Such commands include separate "On" and "Off" commands for each component (so when you execute a macro to "Watch a DVD" it doesn't turn off the TV if it's already on), and direct TV input commands (go right to a specific input without scrolling through two or three). That's the reason to import a Pronto CCF that has these commands, so you can drag-and-drop them to buttons in your MXEditor configuration.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
Mike is right, discreet codes can help a lot with macros. Also you can get ideas from what others have done.
I found some possible discrete codes for one of my devices (RCA VCR) at this site. I'm trying to figure out how to enter these into my MX-700 file. I was counseled that I need to get ProntoEdit and create a file. I downloaded and installed ProntoEdit 1.2.6.0 for TSU3000, but it only wants to create .pcf files, not .ccf files and my MX-Editor can't open them. What am I missing here?

I wouldn't have to do this if my MX-700 would properly learn the discrete IR pulses from my RCA remote, but although the MX-Editor says "GOOD!" when I learn the distinct On and Off buttons from the remote (yes, the RCA remote has separate On/Off buttons) the MX-700's On/Off buttons for the VCR don't work for some reason. I've swapped out the batteries in both remotes, and tried learning the commands numerous times without success. Two other buttons refuse to learn properly as well: PNP and Freeze.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
You need the old ProntoEdit to create CCFs, you have ProntoEdit NG. Check out the Pronto and Pronto Pro files section of Remote Central.

However, the discrete codes you found at hifi-remote.com are One for All "codes that can not be directly entered into ProntoEdit.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
You need the old ProntoEdit to create CCFs, you have ProntoEdit NG. Check out the Pronto and Pronto Pro files section of Remote Central.

However, the discrete codes you found at hifi-remote.com are One for All "codes that can not be directly entered into ProntoEdit.
Truly, I AM a newbie! Thanks, Mike. As noted in another thread, I finally got my MX-700 to learn the codes from my RCA remote by holding and pressing the buttons instead of tapping them. The Learning Tips on page 25 of the MX-700 programming manual has a number of tips and suggestions. Obviously, problems learning codes are quite common. Fortunately, I've managed to relearn, etc. every balky button I've had trouble with so far. I still have a lot of testing to do. I've programmed a few simple macros, and have yet to get into activities. However, I guess they're pretty easy once you have all your buttons working. I'm going to use the strategy suggested for power users on page 50 - have press and hold activities programmed to the soft buttons on the first Main page, and simple switching for when you just tap those buttons. Seems like the most convenient method of setting things up.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'll piggy back another newbie question for the MX-700 here.

In a FAQ for the MX-700 , item 19 is this:

19. CAN I HAVE CAPITAL AND SMALL LETTERS IN MY LABELS? CAN I USE ANY SYMBOLS?

No the text display is limited to upper case only with a limit of five characters per button. You can use the PC keyboard to obtain some special character symbols.

[ = PLAY

] = REVERSE PLAY

\\ = UP ARROW

' = DOWN ARROW

@ = FF ARROW

* = REW ARROW

% = PAUSE

; = STOP (Square block)

! = !

# = #

$ = $

^ = ^

& = &

I don't understand this. Can someone explain what they're talking about? Thanks. Are they suggesting you enter ; as a label and you are supposed to interpret this as meaning STOP? Why not enter STOP, then???? And what do they mean by ; = STOP (Square block) ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Think of what has been called "VCR Buttons":

Square block is the icon for "Stop"

Right arrow is the icon for "Play"

Two right arrows is the icon for "Fast Forward"

etc.

Hope this helps.

Jon

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JClarke5
Think of what has been called "VCR Buttons":

Square block is the icon for "Stop"

Right arrow is the icon for "Play"

Two right arrows is the icon for "Fast Forward"

etc.

Hope this helps.

Jon
Yeah but what does that have to do with:

[ = PLAY

] = REVERSE PLAY

\\ = UP ARROW

' = DOWN ARROW

@ = FF ARROW

* = REW ARROW

% = PAUSE

; = STOP (Square block)

! = !

# = #

$ = $

^ = ^

& = &

Are you/they saying that if you input @ for a label it gets displayed as >> ???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Muse
Yeah but what does that have to do with:

[ = PLAY

] = REVERSE PLAY

\\ = UP ARROW

' = DOWN ARROW

@ = FF ARROW

* = REW ARROW

% = PAUSE

; = STOP (Square block)

! = !

# = #

$ = $

^ = ^

& = &

Are you/they saying that if you input @ for a label it gets displayed as >> ???
Bingo - thats what it means. You type in the [left column] character, the remote will display it as the correct [right column] symbol.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
The current version of MXEditor has all of those icons right in the LCD button editor, so all you have to do is choose the ones you want. The character equations were needed in the past.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSRC
The current version of MXEditor has all of those icons right in the LCD button editor, so all you have to do is choose the ones you want. The character equations were needed in the past.
Yes, I see them, now that you point them out. What I'm wondering, however, is why I'd ever want to use them. FF, Rew, Play, Stop, Pause... those are all hard buttons. Why would I want to create soft buttons for them? I suppose you could have alternative versions of these for specific purposes that would incorporate macros, and for that you might want to dedicate soft buttons. Is that the idea?

As well, the up and down symbols would seem to be easily taken care of by + and -. Reverse play? What uses that? Maybe a single speed rewind?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
There are a few uses for the characters such as chapter skip forward and back (ie: >>| and |

etc.

Here the arrow points to the button that executes the activity macro. All individual devices are on MAIN 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.