AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking for a 42 inch plasma and asked me to do some research. I know a lot about home theater in general and I'm a FP expert, but I have to admit I am decidely behind the time when it comes to budget plasma displays.

His budget: $1100-$1300 (maybe a hair more if its a great set)

His needs: 42 inches, 720p native (no 1080p). plasma, not LCD.

His viewing habits: Xbox360 mostly with some DVDs (all SD DVDs), an some TV (SD TV for now, possibly HD in the future)

clearly I want to help him get the best set for his budget and needs. i think he needs a set with a good de-interlacer/scaler for all his SD needs.

i'm open to ANYTHING you want to throw out there.

thanks again for your advice and if you ever need any FP advice, let me know.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Panny or Sammy are in that price range, I'd probably pick the panny, the Sammy sharpness might not look so great on SD. Unfortunately, the 42" Pioneer or NEC have not come down to that price range.

Were it my friend, I'd recommend he wait a while, until he's either ready to make the HD plunge or prices drop further or he can save enough to buy a set that handles SD a bit better. If all he is viewing is SD, I'm not entirely sure he will feel he gets his money worth.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Look at the 42px6u, 60u, and 600u. Main differences between these is SD card compatability, cablecard, some speaker differences, and bezel. Get info from the panasonic site.

Panasonics are hard to beat in price range and size imo. The only other sets that compare are the Pioneers but they command a premium price. I struggled with deciding between these 2 brands and went with the panasonic.

Your friend will not be disappointed with any of the panasonics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.