AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am considering a new theater. Since my questions are mostly about speakers, I'll plant this post here. I am currently leaning towards B&W 70xS2 floor standing front L/R. Looks like the quality to price ratio for a 1/2 off Marantz 7702 justifies that for the receiver.
1. What center?
2. What sub? My local shop touts the REL.
3. Due to the room layout and wife factor, I am thinking I'll put the rears in the ceiling. Suggestions?
4. And since I'll be running wire, I'll put in a couple of Atmos. Suggestions?
5. How big of a panel should I consider? And which one?

If I'm going to save a few $$, I suspect I can do so in the rears/atmos speakers?

Appreciate the advice.
Bob

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Hello, I am considering a new theater. Since my questions are mostly about speakers, I'll plant this post here. I am currently leaning towards B&W 70xS2 floor standing front L/R. Looks like the quality to price ratio for a 1/2 off Marantz 7702 justifies that for the receiver.

1. What center?

3. Due to the room layout and wife factor, I am thinking I'll put the rears in the ceiling. Suggestions?

If I'm going to save a few $$, I suspect I can do so in the rears/atmos speakers?

Appreciate the advice.

Bob

The AV7702 is a processor, not a receiver, so you’ll need external amps which can get very pricy. I don’t think you should go this path.

Instead I’d grab a Denon X4400H which are being discounted as the newest model the X4500H moves in. It’s a 9 channel receiver that has processing for 11 so you can add a separate amp if you need to. Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company so the internals are pretty much the same.

I’m not a big fan of B&W, they sound terrible to me, especially the 700 series, and don’t perform nearly as good as other brands in the same or lower price brackets. Check the measurements for verification if you like.

Instead, I’d recommend Klipsch RP, Chane, Ascend, Emotiva or Kef. Revel would probably be good also.

Do not get a Rel sub. Overpriced paperweight. There are MANY subs that will outperform them in every category for less money. Check out Rythmik, HSU, or Monolith. Fantastic performing subs. You can check out the measurements on Databass.com for verification :)

If you do Atmos channels, it is not recommended to do in ceiling surrounds. You can do one or the other, not both. I’d find a way to do in wall surrounds or something, but not in ceiling.

As for the panel, as big as you can afford.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Thanks Russ.

I mistyped the Marantz model. It is the SR7012 which is a receiver.

Bob

Ah, well the X4400H is a better choice IMO, but if you like Marantz it is your choice.

The most important thing, where a healthy amount of your budget should go, is your subwoofers. No bass absolutely kills the movie experience. You want to have too much bass so you can dial it down, if your at the max output of your subs, and find it lacking, you can’t exactly just turn it up :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I’m not a big fan of B&W, they sound terrible to me, especially the 700 series, and don’t perform nearly as good as other brands in the same or lower price brackets. Check the measurements for verification if you like.

Instead, I’d recommend Klipsch RP, Chane, Ascend, Emotiva or Kef. Revel would probably be good also.
Curious...

The B&W 700 series are like 1700 a piece or 3400 a pair.
The Emotiva T2 for example are $800 for the pair total.

You really think the Emotivas sound as good or better? Maybe the KEF might be on the same level??

·
Registered
263 Posts
4. Yes, you want Atmos. Preferably 4. You can go in ceiling or on wall (SVS makes an excellent on wall solution for front and rear heights). Atmos will give you the bubble and will make it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Curious...

You really think the Emotivas sound as good or better? Maybe the KEF might be on the same level??

I’ll do you one better, I own Ascend CMT340’s which are $500.

Better in every category. Imaging, bass, tonality (personal preference I guess), but the B&Ws sound grainy, bright, anemic, and plenty of other things. Just not pleasant.

I don’t see how people can like it, much less stomach what they paid for it, and seeing it can be beat by many other brands for much less.

Stereophile measurement of the 702s2. See what I mean?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
1. What center?

Appreciate the advice.
Bob
What City are you located in as there may be a local boutique manufacturer in your area worth checking out.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Curious...

Good or better is ENTIRELY personal preference. Measurements are helpful but nothing beats your own ears for determining which one is better to YOU.

Just be careful when someone gives personal "advice" on what is good or bad since it's only their opinion. A single opinion at that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts