AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking for advice from the "experts" on getting a new sub. i've been eyeballing the eD A2-300 after lurking here, but got to wondering about room size.


i'm not good with the maths and all the technical side of this stuff...and seems like many of you are



i need to grab my system stats, but honestly, my stuff is really old. nearly 9 years old.


my center and rears are small Infinity speakers, and fronts are some floor standing Infinity, an old Yamaha 5.1 DTS/DD amp (with sub out), and my current sub is a Yamaha dual 8" 120w powered sub. very oldschool.


it has served me well so far...but i got a 50" DLP a couple years ago, and a recent bluray player, and my sub is finally showing it's age. i'm getting a lot of rattling from it, and i dont' think it is holding up well with the seemingly better quality bluray sound.


yes, i do understand i don't have a TruHD amp, but it still does seem like the sound quality has increased just with the bluray player alone, or maybe i'm crazy?


anyway, i was deciding between an amp and sub for the first upgrade (the rest of the system may come at a later time, i'll likely need a new center first) but for now i think the sub will add the best "oomph" to a weakening system.


of course, if that's a disagreement, please let me know as well, but i saw a lot of people suggesting the sub (or the center) as a first big upgrade to an old system.


anyway, my real question is, there seems to be a lot about the actual size of the room versus the depth/power/sound of the sub, so now i'm curious what the thoughts may be on my dimensions.


firstly, i'm in a mobile home, so it is pretty small.


i'm looking at:


84" ceiling

~157" wide

~159" living room plus open wall adjoined kitchen adding 126" (~285" from living room wall to kitchen wall)


*edit per reply below, including feet/volume


7'h x 13'w x (~13'L + ~10'L combined) x 23'L = ~2175 sq ft (is that right??)



the other wall is an open door to the hallway.


with the adjoined open kitchen area, that seems like a lot of area.


any thoughts or opinions?


not as a last resort, but something i'd considered anyway...would be to throw up a makeshift wall to separate the kitchen and living room if that would noticeably increase sound quality.


again, i'm not good with the sound vs room dimensions stuff, so would the sub generate enough quality sound if placed in the living room, or would the adjoined kitchen directly be affecting that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitzanu /forum/post/18216448


i was looking for advice from the "experts" on getting a new sub. i've been eyeballing the eD A2-300 after lurking here, but got to wondering about room size.


i'm not good with the maths and all the technical side of this stuff...and seems like many of you are



i need to grab my system stats, but honestly, my stuff is really old. nearly 9 years old.


my center and rears are small Infinity speakers, and fronts are some floor standing Infinity, an old Yamaha 5.1 DTS/DD amp (with sub out), and my current sub is a Yamaha dual 8" 120w powered sub. very oldschool.


it has served me well so far...but i got a 50" DLP a couple years ago, and a recent bluray player, and my sub is finally showing it's age. i'm getting a lot of rattling from it, and i dont' think it is holding up well with the seemingly better quality bluray sound.


yes, i do understand i don't have a TruHD amp, but it still does seem like the sound quality has increased just with the bluray player alone, or maybe i'm crazy?


anyway, i was deciding between an amp and sub for the first upgrade (the rest of the system may come at a later time, i'll likely need a new center first) but for now i think the sub will add the best "oomph" to a weakening system.


of course, if that's a disagreement, please let me know as well, but i saw a lot of people suggesting the sub (or the center) as a first big upgrade to an old system.


anyway, my real question is, there seems to be a lot about the actual size of the room versus the depth/power/sound of the sub, so now i'm curious what the thoughts may be on my dimensions.


firstly, i'm in a mobile home, so it is pretty small.


i'm looking at:


84" ceiling

~157" wide

~159" living room plus open wall adjoined kitchen adding 126" (~285" from living room wall to kitchen wall)


the other wall is an open door to the hallway.


with the adjoined open kitchen area, that seems like a lot of area.


any thoughts or opinions?


not as a last resort, but something i'd considered anyway...would be to throw up a makeshift wall to separate the kitchen and living room if that would noticeably increase sound quality.


again, i'm not good with the sound vs room dimensions stuff, so would the sub generate enough quality sound if placed in the living room, or would the adjoined kitchen directly be affecting that?

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about the size of your listening area. The Ed A2-300 should work well. I wouldn't even consider "throwing up a makeshift wall".


While you are pondering making the next move why don't you convert your measurements to cubic feet. First, convert inches to feet. Then multiply Length, Width, and Hight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spyboy, thanks for the quick tip



i'm really trying not to be the "OMG TELL ME WHICH SUB IS BEST" guy. i'm liking the price point of the eD sub, and i'm fine with the wait, i only question it when i start seeing others compare similarly priced models to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
Yeah I am in the same boat. Been looking around and trying to figure out which one I should get over the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 /forum/post/18218260


Yeah I am in the same boat. Been looking around and trying to figure out which one I should get over the other.

well Caper, i bit the bullet and ordered the A2-300. the sale goes off in a few days, so i figured i'd go for it. all the reading i did seems to indicate it's great for HT for the price, so...we'll see!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18216813


I don't think you need to be overly concerned about the size of your listening area. The Ed A2-300 should work well. I wouldn't even consider "throwing up a makeshift wall".

The only thing is that the room is nearly square...that's not a good thing where bass response is concerned.


Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I'm also a newb, have had same sat speaker system for 6 yrs. I am getting ready to purchase the complete Klipsch wf-35 home theater ( http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...ater-overview/ ) setup through accommodations at work. I understand that alot of people like HSU subs and other subs besides the Klipsch but since pricing is not as much of a concern due to discount, I was wondering if it would be overkill to get 2 of the XW-500D for a 11'X15' room? I'm figuring a 7.1 or a 7.2 setup for my home theater system with using 2 additional WS-24 speakers for my rear. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckygolucky69 /forum/post/18250421


I'm also a newb, have had same sat speaker system for 6 yrs. I am getting ready to purchase the complete Klipsch wf-35 home theater ( http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...ater-overview/ ) setup through accommodations at work. I understand that alot of people like HSU subs and other subs besides the Klipsch but since pricing is not as much of a concern due to discount, I was wondering if it would be overkill to get 2 of the XW-500D for a 11'X15' room? I'm figuring a 7.1 or a 7.2 setup for my home theater system with using 2 additional WS-24 speakers for my rear. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I just answered a question like this a minute ago...the short answer is that it's a double-edged sword. On one hand it can help by canceling the lowest mode along one of the dimensions, which has implications for every octave thereafter. On the other hand, it can make things much worse by introducing much more low end energy into the room, which will make the peaks and valleys worse...maybe much worse.


Positioning is the key...spend plenty of time getting that right. Treating the room is a great idea too.



Frank
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top