AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From everything I've read on this forum, you need to avoid any type of static image to avoid burn in.

I know this means that one cannot watch too much 4:3 mode on a widescreen as the grey bars it projects can cause burn in.

However, what about standard 4:3 screens when watching 16:9/letterbox format such as movies? This results in "blocking off" a portion of the screen. Any concern in this situation?

If this is a really stupid question, excuse my ignorance. I'm new to all of this and am trying to learn as much as possible before making any purchase.

Thanks

Steven

· Registered
13,761 Posts
If your settings are correct, and I mean reference settings, not settings that are pumped up in any way, then you should be OK. I've had my 16X9 TV for 8 months and about 50% of my viewing is 2.35:1 films and there is not a hint of any burnin at all. Nothing. I have a friend with a 64" Pioneer and he watches a LOT of 2.35:1 material and has had no burnin after 2 years.

It's all in how you adjust the settings. Torch Mode = You will have burnin.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I've just been reading an assortment of threads on burn-in that I got from the site's Search function. (Maybe you should too.) I've gotten extremely mixed signals about how easily and quickly it happens. One guy says it's practically impossible unless you deliberately abuse the TV, another says it happened to his TV in no time despite his having taken the proper precautions. But one thing nobody disputed was that the grey side bars will not cause burn-in like the black top & bottom bars can. This is because gray is an "average" amount of energy being sent through those parts of the screen, instead of "none", and different parts of the screen having to do vastly different amounts of work is what causes the problem. It makes me wish I could get a TV that would use gray for its top & bottom regions when watching superwidescreen movies, instead of black.

· Registered
13,761 Posts
Delvo, sorry, but that's wrong. Most sets that have burn-in have it from gray bar mode because people think (foolishly) that gray bars are safe. They are NOT safe and WILL burn in your set if you use them too much.

I have yet to see or even hear about a set suffering burnin from 2.35:1 films. I watch them all the time and have not even a trace of burnin. I know a guy with a 3 year old 64 inch Pioneer that has played endless hours of 2.35:1 material and he is 100% without burnin.

I also know people from the www.panny.tv forum who have suffered burn-in using gray bar mode for only a few months.

Burn-in can happen. It's a fact of life for CRT owners. As long as your settings are properly adjusted and your viewing habits alternating (with as little gray bar mode as possible), you should be fine.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
I have yet to see or even hear about a set suffering burnin from 2.35:1 films.
Well, you're about to hear of it... There's a set at my local Sears on which the brightness and/or contrast at the top and bottom of the screen differ glaringly from the middle region. A salesguy said it happened in one night when somebody had left that TV on and it was running movies of a higher screen ratio than the TV was built for. That was 10 hours from closing to opening.

Does this mean that if I watch a 2-hour movie 5 times, I'll get the same result? I seem to be gather ing the implication from some people that the effect depends hours of operation AT A TIME, rather than cumulative total, but nobody's said it directly...

· Registered
350 Posts
Steven,

You can always look at one of the LCD or DLP projection sets. This makes the burn in problem a non issue. But, as always, these machines have other weaknesses. That's the big problem, you have to way the pros and cons of each format, decide what is most important to you personaly, and then make a purchase based on what YOU want. If you are happy with it, then that is what really matters. Personally, I am in the LCD or DLP (if they ever come out) camp. I think the CRT RPTV's are great, but several things about them have caused me to look at these other formats instead. Good luck, its a fun process learning about all this.

Mark

· Registered
13,761 Posts
That set at Sears was likely already near burnin from much abuse on TORCH mode and that simply put it over the top. Factory default settings will kill your set. It's that simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.