AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an average (if such a thing exists in the HT world) riser depth used in typical dedicated HT rooms? I have a 24' long room, and the current plans show a riser depth of 8.5' by 22' wide.

From looking over posted plans/drawings/pictures in this forum, I haven't seen anything much longer than 7'. Is my raiser unusually long? There will only be a single row of average sized recliner chairs installed. And there are no doors along the back wall. Location of the front room of seats is not a factor in this.

Any input/thoughts/comments are appreciated!

Thanks,

--curtis

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I guess it depends on how deep your seating is and how much foot room in front you want. In my case my riser which sits 2 comfortable, 3 in a jam is only a few inches over 4' deep (only a 18' long room). This set up currently holds 2 Ikea chairs with a foot and a half of walk space in front of them, so you won't be dancing on it or anything but it works for that. It will also do the job for a love seat as well. It's around 6' 10" wide, just FYI.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For my solution I was looking for the least amount of brain damage and cutting of wood. By way of background, my room is 23' long. At the back, it measures approx. 15' wide and at the screen wall it is just over 12'wide as a bath protrudes into this rectangle. So it is roomy back by the seating area but my 8' wide screen fills the opposite end nicely.

http://www.chriswhitworth.com/roomlayout.jpg

Pressure treated 10' 2x4"s run front to back with 8' 2x8"s running perpendicular on top of the 2x4"s. No cutting required and I get a nice step up to the upper level which is plenty roomy. The front row on the floor in front of the riser is right at 12' from the screen, and I can only see SDE if I am looking for it, and in only the right scenes.

3/4 ply gives a total height of almost 11", plenty to see over those in front. 3 sheets were enough for the whole thing. Some guys will tell you that you need to put layers of roofing felt on top of the plywood and then add another layer of ply on top of that to minimize vibration from the subwoofers.

I don't know. Can't argue that it wouldn't make it more solid, but I stuffed mine with fiberglass insulation and Liquid Nailed down everything as well as shooting zillions of deck screws every 6" or so. I have been testing it out the past month. While I can feel the 'thump' from the sub, it isn't buzzy at all. Don't think I am going to get any more plywood.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Curtis, is there any reason why would you need the riser that deep? That's a lot of wood and insulation!!!!

Also, with a room that size, I wonder why you wouldn't build provision for raised second row seating? Part of the fun of a HT is sharing it with friends and family!!!! And, as soon as people learn that you only have one row of seating, they might just get a little upset! :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason for only a single row of raised seating is due to the ceiling height. With only 8' 6" ceiling and an overhead projector enclosed in a hush box, I am concerned about the lack of clearance if I were to build a second level. I have some tall friends :)

I do plan on installing a row of seats in front of the raised platform (probably 5 in a wedge), so there will be ample amount of seats.

--curtis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.