AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Before I get flamed, I *did* search, and have been lurking for several months. However, sometimes nothing works better than a personalised response for a personalised setup.

I am looking for a recommendation as to which screen to get. I know there are LOTS of choices, and some of the names I have come across include:

Grandview, Carada, Draper, Dalite, Stewart, Elite, vutec, Accuscreen, Severtson and Vapex.

What I am looking for is the best bang for my buck screen. From my readings, obviously Stewart is the Gold standard to which all other screens are compared. However, I am not prepared to pay 2500$ for a screen when there are several that cost half as much with nearly the same performance. I WILL pay more, however, for a Carada over a Vapex for instance, since the reviews have shown a significant difference. The issue is not so much cost as it is cost-benefit.

My setup is as follows:

New Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector

Looking for fixed screen

My room is approximately 10 feet wide, just under 20 feet long and ceiling is about 7'8" high. The primary seating position is at about 12' and the second row of seats is at about 17' on a 6" riser. The room is in a windowless basement (ie pitch black when the lights are out). The walls are a bit darker than beige but lighter than tan, with matching carpet and a white ceiling.

The theater will be used for movies (75%) HDTV (20%) and gaming (5%).

For this setup, what would you recommend? I was thinking of getting a 16:9 110" (96"x54"), but which material (do I need high contrast?) and which company?

So far I am leaning towards the Carada Brilliant white because I have heard nothing but good things, and it sits right in the middle of the price range, with near Stewart-like performance from what I can tell. Are there any screens with similar performance in the same price range that I should consider? I am in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If it makes a difference, I also plan on ceiling mounting the projector at about 14.5' with a 2' drop.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think that with a ceiling mounted projector and with your room arrangement the Carada BW is an excellent choice. I do not think you need a high contrast screen. Personally, I chose the Da-Lite High Power for my HT, but you must place the PJ at a height near seated eye level for best results with the HP--something which you may not wish to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. That's kinda what I was thinking although the Stewart is a bit out of my price range and costs more than my pj.

I was reading lots last night on grandview. It can be had for about 60% the cost of th carada, making it very tempting. However I can't find any objective measures of it's performance although it's owners seem to love it. Is this a good alternative to the carada?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nsp /forum/post/18231964

What I am looking for is the best bang for my buck screen. From my readings, obviously Stewart is the Gold standard to which all other screens are compared. However, I am not prepared to pay 2500$ for a screen when there are several that cost half as much with nearly the same performance.

There was only $130 between the best prices for a Dalite and Stewart with the same options when I bought my 87x49" screen (wide velour coated frame, 1.3 gain screen material). I bought the Stewart since it let less light through so contrast would be better if it was in front of a lighter wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts