AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a visitor on this forum for a little bit and fortunately now I am able to join the club and have my own small HT.

I just got a new house and was able to add a small dedicated HT (about 12' x 14'6 - 9' ceiling and 2 rows of seating). By the way, I want to thank rsprance and the Arthouse HT, that was a huge inspiration to my HT and I am sure to many others and a huge thanks to all the users of this forum, for being so willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

As you can see in the pics, everything is well under way and I have a couple of questions with regards to the equipment.

Here is my current setup (no laughing allowed):

Samsung 61" DLP

Yamaha RX-V640

4 Polk R30 (Fronts and Rears)

1 Infinity PS-8 Sub

1 Kenwood center (from old HTiB)

I am trying to get a decent system on a budget so after some looking around I was thinking on the following (for mostly movies and the world cup!!!!):

PT-AE4000u

100" or 106" DIY screen (Still need to read more about materials, but open to suggestions)

For receivers I am thinking of (do I need THX?):

Onkyo 607 or 707

Pio 1019, 21txh or 9040

2 Polk M40 for the fronts

4 Polk M30 for surrounds (running a 7.1 or 7.2)

1 Polk CS2 for center

2 Polk PSW10 or 2 Klipsch KSW-10 - Is this better than 1 sub (maybe an F-12 or similar?)

What do you guys think? Anything I should change or consider.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the CS2 center channel is too strong for m40 fronts..

try monitor 70s ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-015-_-Product )

or Monitor 60's (on the newegg.com front page, click EMAIL PROMOTIONS, halfway down there is a coupon code for monitor 60's @ $120 each [!!])

otherwise just get the CS1 center.

the subs you have listed are garbage.. if you insist on staying in that price bracket for dual subs, id go with Bic venturi 10" ($150), although youll likely be better served just buying one nice sub in the $500 price range.

the 30s will be fine for surrounds..

looking good so far.. have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Skip paying for the THX. Basically you are paying for the name. Read reviews as they will tell you what products are good. You don't need a company to jack the price of the product up to put their name on it.

That being said I have purchased products that are THX certified but I did want the best they just happened to be certified.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@charmangler - thanks for the reply... I would love to go with the bigger floor standing speakers, but I am planning on putting them in the built in area to the sides of the stage (I will have shelves there) so a bookshelf would be a better option. Are the M40s OK for that? I will look more into the subs... maybe spending more $ on a single sub might be the way to go.

@adammb - Thanks for the suggestion... that can save me some $!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Your R30's aren't that bad so your upgrade will be minimal. Wait until you can afford a major upgrade like some Paradigms, PSB, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, B&W, Energy RC-70, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts