AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys, after days and nights of reviews on this board and abroad...I just broke down and bought my first plasma.

I bought the Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY Plasma TV from 1800Plasmas

BTW....they have great customer service too.

Thanks for all your help here on this forum guys!!!!:D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Nice!

Here is the "un-official" Panny welcome thread...it refers to the 6 series, but should help you with the 7 series. :D

Excellent! Prepare to be wowed by your new unit!

Some threads for reference to assist you;

Out-of-the-Box acceptance test , to help prepare you for the proper steps to take when the big box shows up,

42PWD6UY Settings File thread to give you an idea of other users settings,

Are you seeing the FULL image you paid for!? , which is _Michaelangelo_s thread to assist in overscan,

Don't forget "Hammer's Settings of Extreme Visual Bliss"

And last, but absolutely not the least, be sure to check out the "Steaming Rat," or "Rich's Method For Achieving A More Realistic Image... to assist in your calibration process.

Enjoy your new plasma! :D

-JR

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Two words and maybe Juice can back me up.

"Back Light".

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think he might mean placing a light behind the display which will light up the wall that is behind the display. Basically, it is to give higher definition of the "blacks" shown on the display (human eyes actually view blacks and whites as relative to each other, thus removing the complete blackness around the screen removes the closest deep black and thus makes the blacks on the screen seem blacker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Fallen Kell
I think he might mean placing a light behind the display which will light up the wall that is behind the display. Basically, it is to give higher definition of the "blacks" shown on the display (human eyes actually view blacks and whites as relative to each other, thus removing the complete blackness around the screen removes the closest deep black and thus makes the blacks on the screen seem blacker.

Ahhhhhh....." I see" said the blind man..

Very interesting....that Fallen!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That backlighting trick is very interesting indeed! Thanks rmcgirr83!!!

But the question remains, do I get the rope light or the flourescent tube lignt?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Go to home depot (lowe's where ever) and get both...see which you like better then take the other one back. Or if you like the flourescent type better take them both back and get an idealume.

Enjoy!!

That's what counts. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
And in fluorescent, do most people use plane white .. or blacklight?

(The blacklight is supposed to work much better for contrasts .. that's what I heard)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rmcgirr83
Go to home depot (lowe's where ever) and get both...see which you like better then take the other one back. Or if you like the flourescent type better take them both back and get an idealume.

Enjoy!!

That's what counts. ;)

Yep, that's what I'm going to do.......

My tv can't come fast enough!:mad:

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cbs
My tv can't come fast enough!:mad:
Patience grasshopper.

It'll all be good, you'll "see". :D

RE: Plain light

Most use a plain 6500k light as that is closest to the color of a sunny day and is also the ISF standard. The idealume, OTOH, comes with colored plastic lenses that you can place over the light for the desired effect (changes the color temp of the light).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.