AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at several hdtv tuner cards for htpc. All have independant component output. Is there any way to send the hdtv signal through the DVI on the video card? If not, what happens with hdcp protected programming? Therefore htpc cant scale picture either, at least not with its video card?

My primitive understanding is even the pci buss itself does not have enough bandwidth for uncompressed hdtv, so answer is no. Therefore devoted hdtv receiver with hdcp compatable dvi ouptut is needed, for hdcp protected programming?

Similarly, the h3d card for external interlaced signals in htpc also has its own component output, so it does not use the video card's dvi port either???

noobie thanks you...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
newtbert,

I may be wrong, but since all HDTV cards for PC are for OTA only, then the hdcp really won't make a difference, since it is the networks broadcasting for free.

I don't know about the h3d card.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I learned that I was wrong about the H3D card not outputting to the video card. It DOES output to video card, so can use its dvi output.

But I'm still confused about how a HDTV tuner gets to the video card's dvi output, for output to a DVI equipped PJ. All the pc-based OTA HDTV tuner cards i've read about output component video directly. Is that correct, or did I miss something again?

So i guess one could route the component output to the H3D card to get it to the video card's dvi? But this route has unnecessary d2a and a2d conversions... and extra delay for audio synch issues. Component is analog, isn't it? Or is it digital???

Therefore it seems to me that for ota hdtv to dvi-based projector, the Sony hdtv tuner with DVI output is a much cleaner approach? And cheaper if no pre-existing htpc?

And if the PJ has good deinterlacer and scalar, seems like h3d card is an expensive option to get marginal improvement is PQ? Perhaps the H3D allows PVR functions? I dunna think it can record to harddisk, but could be wrong again?

Not interested in costly SDI mods which invalidate warranties...

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.