AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the truth. After months of research and a strong passion for beautiful sound, I believed I found the answer - a pair of B&W CM9s with some Rotel bits. And then it happened, my car decided to jump off the deep end - and so did my budget.

So instead, I've decided to go to a dedicated 2.1 system. However, this brings me to the reason for this entire thread - I don't know where to go next. I've done my research but with only having a Best Buy as my only go-to-place, it makes this place a Godsend and my only escape.

I know, I know. You guys get this all the time but it would mean the world to me if you could help guide me to the right direction.

I have a budget of $1,300 for everything. That includes a pair of bookshelves, pre-amp (if needed), and amp (if needed).

Here's the low-down for where they'll be going -

It'll be in a room about 16 x 20; it's my bedroom. I listen to classical, dance, and acoustic with a touch of everything else that might spark my fancy. I also already have AudioQuest cables that a friend gave me for going between the speakers to the receiver or amp.

Here's what I've been looking at -

1. Energy Veritas V-5.1 - $800 a pair.

2. Swan D2.1se+ - $900 a pair.

3. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 - $900 a pair.

4. BMW CM1 - $1000 a pair.

5. Dynaudio DM 2/7 - $700 a pair.

From what I've been reading, these guys do very well and seem to be good options for myself. However, keep in mind, I'm still pretty new to the audio world. From the very few (two) reviews of the Swan D2.1se+, they seem to be my favourite alongside the Veritas V-5.1s but I'm open to any suggestions or thoughts. I also really enjoy the sound of the CM9 tower if that helps.

I have also been thinking about getting the NAD Viso Two in the future or getting a Emotiva UPA-2 to power them and another preamp. Any suggestions of these would help as well!

Like I said, I know you guys get a lot of threads like this one - I'd buy you a beer if I could - but I need quality sound for once.

Thank you for taking the time. I sincerely appreciate it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Vanns is supposed to be getting a large order of Energy RC-70's and some RC-10's so that might be a good idea instead of best buy as they went for a great price.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Since you like the CM9, look for a used pair of CM5 or CM1 and an integrated amp. Look on AudiogoN for the CM5s and for integrated amps from Music Hall, Rega, Cambridge, NAD, etc. Should definitely be able to do this in budget with CM1s, moving to the CM5 may be a challenge.

Are you in Phoenix, AZ? If yes, check out Audio Video Choices at 601 E. Indian School.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/20797729

Since you like the CM9, look for a used pair of CM5 or CM1 and an integrated amp. Look on AudiogoN for the CM5s and for integrated amps from Music Hall, Rega, Cambridge, NAD, etc. Should definitely be able to do this in budget with CM1s, moving to the CM5 may be a challenge.

Are you in Phoenix, AZ? If yes, check out Audio Video Choices at 601 E. Indian School.

I only heard the CM1 once down at BB, but I'll go down again to give it another listen. It's tough because they have them snuggled between some subs and stuck in a corner.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Given that the Energy V-5.1 looks like a tweaked RC-10... it's hard to recommend them at $800/pr... and this is coming from an RC-10 owner...

Not saying the new Veritas line isn't an improvement over the RC line... it very well may be... and based on the measurements of the V-6.3 at Audioholics, it looks like an improvement to me over the RC-70 because the V-6.3 appears to measure more neutral. If you look at the Soundstage measurements of the RC-70, you'll see it's not a neutral speaker.

That said, some folks who has prior experience with the RC-70 perceived the V-6.3 as bright... so personal preference certainly comes into play.

Of course, with the V-5.1, you get those sexy cabinets... but I think the $300 RC-10, even in boring black ash, is a much better buy. If/When the V-5.1 drops in price, it may be a different story.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii /forum/post/20798918

Given that the Energy V-5.1 looks like a tweaked RC-10... it's hard to recommend them at $800/pr... and this is coming from an RC-10 owner...

Not saying the new Veritas line isn't an improvement over the RC line... it very well may be... and based on the measurements of the V-6.3 at Audioholics, it looks like an improvement to me over the RC-70 because the V-6.3 appears to measure more neutral. If you look at the Soundstage measurements of the RC-70, you'll see it's not a neutral speaker.

That said, some folks who has prior experience with the RC-70 perceived the V-6.3 as bright... so personal preference certainly comes into play.

Of course, with the V-5.1, you get those sexy cabinets... but I think the $300 RC-10, even in boring black ash, is a much better buy. If/When the V-5.1 drops in price, it may be a different story.

I actually spent a hour or two reading reviews on the RC and found them quite interesting. Especially for that price, what a killer deal.

·
Registered
349 Posts
$300 for a pair of RC-10s and and the rest towards your amp/pre-amp is a good idea on a budget. They are highly efficient and won't require much amplification.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

Quote:
So here's the truth. After months of research and a strong passion for beautiful sound, I believed I found the answer - a pair of B&W CM9s with some Rotel bits. And then it happened, my car decided to jump off the deep end - and so did my budget.

So instead, I've decided to go to a dedicated 2.1 system. However, this brings me to the reason for this entire thread - I don't know where to go next. I've done my research but with only having a Best Buy as my only go-to-place, it makes this place a Godsend and my only escape.

I know, I know. You guys get this all the time but it would mean the world to me if you could help guide me to the right direction.

I have a budget of $1,300 for everything. That includes a pair of bookshelves, pre-amp (if needed), and amp (if needed).

So you said you're going to a dedicated 2.1 system for $1300 but you never mentioned having a subwoofer or getting one. So how can you put together a 2.1 system without a sub?

so if you still need a sub I'd say get the Energy RC-10s for $300 and spend the rest on a sub and integrated amp/stereo receiver.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20801208

So you said you're going to a dedicated 2.1 system for $1300 but you never mentioned having a subwoofer or getting one. So how can you put together a 2.1 system without a sub?

so if you still need a sub I'd say get the Energy RC-10s for $300 and spend the rest on a sub and integrated amp/stereo receiver.

Ah yeah, forgot to mention that. I am more inclined getting the bookshelves first then working towards a sub later on. I'm hoping I can get the beat I can with $1,000 for the speakers.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just how critical a listener are you? You are or seem to be saying you are basing this selection off of reviews rather than your listening? Or did I misunderstand? If so sorry. If not, you need to listen to your music on the speakers. You may not agree with the tastes or impressions of the reviewers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 /forum/post/20811614

Just how critical a listener are you? You are or seem to be saying you are basing this selection off of reviews rather than your listening? Or did I misunderstand? If so sorry. If not, you need to listen to your music on the speakers. You may not agree with the tastes or impressions of the reviewers.

Good luck.

I'm still pretty new to the audio world, however, due to living in the middle of no where, it's tough to find any place to test them out. That is why online is my best bet in finding any quality speakers.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I think the idea might be to find stores (on line) that have generous return policies and "demo" the speakers in your home with your music...if you don't thinkthey are worth the money, some stores will take them back within 30 days and you may be out the shipping cost.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii /forum/post/20798918

Interestingly enough, the new issue of HT Mag has a review of the V-5.1 and V-5.2C...

Seeing the measurements... I stand by the RC-10 being a better deal at $300. In short, I think the V-5.1, frequency response wise, looks like the RC-10 with more treble...

On a side note... my assessment of the RC-70 vs V-6.3 might be a bit off... There has been some nice discussion regarding reviewers' measurements of these two speakers in the Energy owner's thread... While the Audioholics measurements make the V-6.3 look reasonably flat at first glance... looking a little closer reveals almost a 5dB rise in treble, which is probably while people find this speaker a bit bright...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think so far, it'll either end up being a pair of Energy Veritas V-5.1 (found a killer deal online) or the Swans. Although I think I am going to wait for one more review that's in the works to pop up on AVS.

Besides that, now I'm a little unsure if I should go with a Emotiva amp with a prepro or a NAD Viso Two - any recs?

·
Banned
4,273 Posts
Home Theater Mag reviewed/measured the KEF Q100, and it has very good measurements:

The KEF Q100’s listening-window response measures +1.90/–2.20 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The –3-dB point is at 49 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 45 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 4.89 ohms at 227 Hz...

http://www.hometheater.com/content/k...-labs-measures

The 100's bigger brother, the KEF Q300 for $400/pr might be worth considering:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rs-pair/1.html

Yamaha RX-A700 90WPC x 7Ch for $380 w/ 7.1 pre-out in case you need an ext amp:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A700...3261985&sr=1-2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts