AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through the forums, and teh Googles, but I didn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I just finished my first HTPC build, and I'm trying to iron out the kinks. My setup uses a HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 video card that I am outputing to an Onkyo Receiver connected to my Sony KDS-60A2000, all with HDMI. However, the W7 desktop does not fill the screen completely, and is not centered. I've updated to the latest ATI drivers, and I've used the CCC to adjust the overscan, but I end up adjusting the overscan to get rid of the bars at the top and right, only to cutoff part of the screen at the bottom and left. Is there a way to re-center the screen?

All of my components are connected through my receiver, so I don't want to adjust the settings on the TV, because I would think it would cause the display from the cable box, PS3, and Xbox to be shifted over as well.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/18279141

You need to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical settings in your TV. See page 40 of your manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDS50A2000.pdf

Thanks for the reply!

I had considered that, but all of my various devices are input through one HDMI port, Adjusting the TV would affect all of my components. None of my other devices seem to be "off center". e.g. The news tickers on stations fed from my cable box are not cutoff at the bottom.

Are there no seetings for the graphics card to correct this?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/18280218

Thanks for the reply!

I had considered that, but all of my various devices are input through one HDMI port, Adjusting the TV would affect all of my components. None of my other devices seem to be "off center". e.g. The news tickers on stations fed from my cable box are not cutoff at the bottom.

Are there no seetings for the graphics card to correct this?

I would guess they are off center.

But make sure you've gone into CCC and set underscan to 0. Make sure you are using a 1920x1080 resolution and not a 1776x1000 resolution.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18280498

I would guess they are off center.

But make sure you've gone into CCC and set underscan to 0. Make sure you are using a 1920x1080 resolution and not a 1776x1000 resolution.

The resolution in CCC is set to 1920x1080 at 60 htz (as opposed to 59.xxxx), and everywhere else I could find a resolution setting for that matter. I was surprised at just how many places it shows up
. However, I have the underscan set a couple of clicks below 0. If I set it all the way to 0, it pushes quite a bit of the desktop off of the sides of the screen, and I still can't get the test video in WMC to display correctly.

It seems like WMC has some overscan settings as well, as it makes some "automatic" changes based on whether I tell it I have a television or a flat panel. Neither settings fix my problem, but it would be nice if they made those adjustments available for tweaking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/18282477

The resolution in CCC is set to 1920x1080 at 60 htz (as opposed to 59.xxxx), and everywhere else I could find a resolution setting for that matter. I was surprised at just how many places it shows up
. However, I have the underscan set a couple of clicks below 0. If I set it all the way to 0, it pushes quite a bit of the desktop off of the sides of the screen, and I still can't get the test video in WMC to display correctly.

It seems like WMC has some overscan settings as well, as it makes some "automatic" changes based on whether I tell it I have a television or a flat panel. Neither settings fix my problem, but it would be nice if they made those adjustments available for tweaking.

Thanks!

The off the screen part is likely exactly why you don't notice other things being off center.

You have to adjust it in the TV.

WMC overscan settings are a bit tricky to understand, but basically, nothing is overscanned except TV, it crops and zooms TV, unless you tell it you have a projector, then it pulls the UI in from the edges and runs TV without the zoom crop. YOu can then go in and regedit the UI back to full screen.

None of this will help you.

You have a rear projection TV, it will never be perfect.

You can create a custom resolution that will get close.

If you get into the service menu on the TV you might be able to fix the centering issue.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the help, I've spent days searching the interwebs for this.

I took your advice and adjusted the horizontal position on my TV, and dropped the overscan a bit more. It's REALLY close now, and I suspect I'll be the only one that will ever know the difference.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A /forum/post/18285033

I really appreciate the help, I've spent days searching the interwebs for this.

I took your advice and adjusted the horizontal position on my TV, and dropped the overscan a bit more. It's REALLY close now, and I suspect I'll be the only one that will ever know the difference.

This very issue drove me crazy enough to sell my rear projection CRT and get a flat panel.

I'm glad you've got it close.

It'll be best if even you can forget to notice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts