AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I started browsing this forum a few months ago and I feel like I've learned alot. Now I'm ready to start building my own theater but I'm still unsure what speakers I should buy. Let me first say that the cheaper the better as far as budget is concerned. At this point I probably have about $300 to spend(just for speakers). The room is small (a spare bedroom) though unfortunetly I don't have the exact dimensions. Sorry. It's used for 89% movies, 10% games and 1% music. I'm planning on getting an Onkyo 606for my reciever and I already have a PS3 for my blu-ray player.

I've read on this forum and on some others that the Insignia bookshelf from BestBuy was a good buy for the money when it was only $40 but that now at $90 there are better options. I've also looked at the primus line particularly the 362 for the fronts, but I would need to wait until they go on sale again for the $99 and I would have to start with a 2.0 and it would be a VERY slow process for me to actually be able to build a 5.1 system. I guess I'm not opposed to building slowly, but with my current budget constraints it would probably take me a year to build a 5.1 system with the primus line and a budget sub. Plus the WAF of me spending every spare cent I get to add speakers to the system probably wouldn't go over well lol.

Also, there's no place in my area that I've found where I can actually listen to any of these speakers. Even the insignia's at my local best buy are only connected to the radio. Not exactly the greatest way to hear what they're made of.

So, anyone, everyone, what's your opinion on the best route to take?

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Geek /forum/post/15541425

Hello everyone, I started browsing this forum a few months ago and I feel like I've learned alot. Now I'm ready to start building my own theater but I'm still unsure what speakers I should buy. Let me first say that the cheaper the better as far as budget is concerned. At this point I probably have about $300 to spend(just for speakers). The room is small (a spare bedroom) though unfortunetly I don't have the exact dimensions. Sorry. It's used for 89% movies, 10% games and 1% music. I'm planning on getting an Onkyo 606for my reciever and I already have a PS3 for my blu-ray player.

I've read on this forum and on some others that the Insignia bookshelf from BestBuy was a good buy for the money when it was only $40 but that now at $90 there are better options. I've also looked at the primus line particularly the 362 for the fronts, but I would need to wait until they go on sale again for the $99 and I would have to start with a 2.0 and it would be a VERY slow process for me to actually be able to build a 5.1 system. I guess I'm not opposed to building slowly, but with my current budget constraints it would probably take me a year to build a 5.1 system with the primus line and a budget sub. Plus the WAF of me spending every spare cent I get to add speakers to the system probably wouldn't go over well lol.

Also, there's no place in my area that I've found where I can actually listen to any of these speakers. Even the insignia's at my local best buy are only connected to the radio. Not exactly the greatest way to hear what they're made of.

So, anyone, everyone, what's your opinion on the best route to take?

The infinity p362's are a great buy for the money. You would definatly have to build up though because the matching center is around $150 on ebay, although you could get by with doing a phantom center if you are sitting front and center. Any cheap descent bookshelves will do for the surrounds. You can find descent deals on speakers down below $90 which would help fill out the back end. The subwoofer will be a problem at this budget. You can find deals on the Energy esw-8 for around $99 on wwstereo.com and also might be able to get the same sub cheaper from thespeakercompany.com. It is supposed to be a rewrapped ESW-8. I am not sure when the Infinity's will go back on sale at frys for that cheap, I have been waiting myself. The lowest it has gone lately is $129 but they run sales every week. You can also look into the energy packages at wwstereo. They are running some pretty good closeout deals on 5.0 for $399. Take a look around for some closeouts on polk monitor series. Your can get the Monitor 50's for under $100 a peice usually, if there are any left. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I went ahead and picked up one pair of the Insignia's from bestbuy. I figure this way I can go ahead and listen to them for a while and see what I think of them. There's no restocking fee so even if I don't like them I've got 30 days to take them back. Still hoping to hear some more opinions. Also, I wasn't intending for that $300 to cover a subwoofer as I realize I'll have to pick one up when I have some more to spend. I should have specified that. Sorry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Crutchfield has some great deals right now on a few decent 5.1 systems.

I brought the Polk RM6880 and the Mirage Nanosats and both would work really well for that size room. The Polks were on sale for 399 and the Mirage nano's were on sale for 449 at one point. The sub is included in both systems. not sure if you can scrape the rest of the cash up, but either system will put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I like the building slowly method. Here's why:

- You get to appreciate what each new piece adds to your system

- You get to save up for each piece meaning overall a higher quality system

I went with a 2.0 system that cost me $2000 and got some awesome floostanding speakers (Paradigm Studio 60's). If I made a 5.1 system with $2000 I'd have gotten mediocre speakers, mediocre sub, and a mediocre receiver. It's a much, much longer process but it's worth it in the end. Last thing I personally wanted is a complete system that I felt needed upgrading in the future.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Here's my repetitive reply

- spend $350 and buy a pair of KEF iQ1s and an iQ2 from Vanns (great 3.0 for the $, also happens to be what I have
)

- save your money for a sub ($240 for the PA-120 from eBay, or save more for a SVS PS10-NSD, HSU STF-2 or Paradigm DSP-3100)

- then save for rears, I ended up with KEF 2001.2 from accessories4less

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would the KEF's compare to the Infinity Primus line? I read somewhere that they tend to be bright and some people don't care for them? Since the

iQ1 is essentially the same price as the Primus 362 if/when it goes on sale wouldn't it be better to go with a pair of them? I live in the Greenville, SC area and I don't think there's anywhere close to hear where I could audition these speakers so that makes it a lot harder I know. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Have you really checked to see if there is a local shop nearby or are you just going by memory? These stores do a lot of word-of-mouth and may not advertise much and can be easy to miss. Open your phone book and look under "audio & video" or do some google searches. Most cities tend to have at least one store within reasonable distance.

Nobody here has your ears and although we can talk about what we personally like and how the graphs read, we simply don't have your ears. One person's "clear & accurate" is another person's "bright and harsh". One person's "powerful and commanding" is another person's "muddy and bloated".

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
No experience with the Primus line, so I couldn't say how they compare. All I can say is that I like what I have.

Probably the closet for you would be Charlotte. Is it worth a Saturday afternoon drive to make a decision?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would not classify the Kef's as bright at all, not even close, but like Rick, I have no experience with the Infinity line to say whether or not the Kef is brighter than those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I might be able to convince my wife to take a trip to Atlanta. It's a little farther but I'm sure they'll be places their I could listen to some speakers. We're going to Gatlinburg at the end of the month so I might be able to find somewhere there. As far as locally I only know of one place that I might be able to demo some speakers but they're only open through the week and they close early. With my job it would be impossible for me to get there. Also, I'm not sure what kind of selection they have but I know they sell B & W speakers so I think they're a little more high end. My thinking is that since the 362's are towers wouldn't they be better than a KEF bookshelf? I know the room is small so it shouldn't matter as much but I like to listen loud

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I checked the link that was given and there's not a KEF dealer anywhere even remotely close to me. I noticed they have the Monitor 50's for $89 at Newegg. I may go that route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts