AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know one does'nt need a phone line to add a store bought UTV. In fact, when I added a UTV unit to a bedroom without a phone jack, the unit not only installed fine, but it upgraded to 3.5 (via satellite I guess) without a hitch. Here's my question:

I've read the upgrade threads and they all seem to mention needing a phone line to update the software once the larger HD is installed.

I'm not sure my phone connection works because whenever I try to connect MSNtv, the modem repeatedly hangs up and redials even though the connection sequence sounds fine(I turned the sound on in an effort to troubleshoot). Ordinarily, I'm not bothered by this because I never want to access the internet via tv, but now I worry I may have to fix the phone connection before upgrading the HD.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You do need to have a working phone line in order to download the new software after a hard drive upgrade. I've observed that, frequently, the first connection fails and UTV redials and succeeds on the second try.

I would strongly recommend that you plug in a phone line and try the WebTV part of UTV to make sure that it works before attempting to upgrade your hard drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.