AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my home theater in a GREAT room type set up. 30' x 18'' with a high ceiling. I'm running an old Velodyne F 1200 B sub that apparently was designed for light weight music in a small room.

My only knowledge of subs is limited to Velodyne and Definitive Technology.

Anyone have a passionate recommendation for under $800?

Currently looking at the Velodyne DLS-5000R and the DT Supercube II.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks guys for helping me narrow it down! hahaha....

Given the size of my room (30 x 18 and high ceilings)... what would you recommend IF I were deciding between:
  • 1 - A7S - 450
  • 2 - A2 - 300

Not sure I can fit 2 subs... just wondering if given a choice... would one scenario be that much better than the other. In this scenario the price is a wash.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Funny. I'm trying to figure out how to fit just one A2-300. The size is the only thing holding me back.

With two subs, you have more options on placement to achieve a more flat room response. One big sub is harder.

I can't help with how these subs sound.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
a7s-450 imo should be louder than 2 a2-300s or at least as loud. But it will definetely have better sound quality and it comes in free matte finish at the moment, so it's your best option by far, imo. HSU and SVS subs of this price range would not close to its output or beat its sound quality.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15587535

a7s-450 imo should be louder than 2 a2-300s or at least as loud. But it will definitely have better sound quality and it comes in free matte finish at the moment, so it's your best option by far, imo. HSU and SVS subs of this price range would not close to its output or beat its sound quality.

Still making unsubstantiated statements of 'What it should do'. When are you actually going to try listening to some other subs before you give your opinion.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15587535

a7s-450 imo should be louder than 2 a2-300s or at least as loud. But it will definetely have better sound quality and it comes in free matte finish at the moment, so it's your best option by far, imo. HSU and SVS subs of this price range would not close to its output or beat its sound quality.

That baby (a7s-450) is HUGE and HEAVY. I think I can hide it behind some furniture... but damn.... BIG box. Seems like a great price... just a monster!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney82 /forum/post/15587642

a5-350

Hummm, must be discontinued. Not shown on their site.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
whatever you end up chosing id would go with 2 matched over 1--recently added a 2nd velo splr 1200 and the difference is huge--no substitute for driver surface area...less stress and distortion from each driver at higher level output. worked out well for me. much more visceral realism/impact with 2 imho.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the a5-350 is temp. off site as they are out of stock on some parts (amp i think) their blog says it should be back next month.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone have an opinion regarding sealed vs. ported? I guess to get good performance from a sealed sub... it HAS to be BIG?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_33 /forum/post/15588844

Anyone have an opinion regarding sealed vs. ported? I guess to get good performance from a sealed sub... it HAS to be BIG?

Where the hell did that come from?

Beating a dead horse.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/15589391

Where the hell did that come from?

Beating a dead horse.

Honest question (for me at least) my man... sorry.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15587825

I have enough evidence to have my opinion. If you have evidence to dispute, please present it.

You just never get it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you present yours like it is based on experience or unique knowledge. Where do you get your basis for stating the value of HSU, SVS, or any other subs? This is what I've been asking from you as it is your opinion based on nothing. Just limit your opinion to your experience except when your in one of the speculative threads.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
There's plenty of rankings measurements and user reports to draw a conclusion on (craigsub's rankings, measurements, user impressions of a7s compared to mfw-15, pb12+/2, pb13 ultra, eD graphs of it vs a5-350 and a7-450) . There are many things you are fairly sure about without experiencing them first hand, in fact the majority of knowledge of history, nature, science, geographics etc that an average person posesses, has nothing to do with first hand experience. Yet they are fairly sure in it and are not afraid to bring it up. We go with the best info we have, once you have listened and compared yourself I won't argue with you, or if you know something I don't please explain me your logic for disagreement, but don't just say I can't mention anything that's not first hand experience. I present my opinion, where did you get the "like/experience" stuff? I think the problem is that certain brands have really loyal fans to which they are second to none regardless of anything, and any word to the contrary is unthinkable heresy.

Please name me which HSU or svs sub of under $900 shipped in your opinion can match a7s-450 in output, and why do you think it would?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts