AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I mislead my wife about the size of my last diy sub- 18" Marty variant- she will not let me build another sub for our new living room. However, I have convinced her, mostly, to let me buy duals. I do have some restrictions: budget around 2k and flexible, Size cannot be larger than approx. 18 in/3, Nothing "ugly" whatever that means, and they have to be placed at the front of the room- she prefers the left and right front corners. Because of the size limitation, Im thinking of dual sealed. Possible choices: hsu uls15, svs SB-2000, pvs (not a fan of the cab finish) reaction, etc. the dual uls would most likely be the Most I'd want to spend, but I don't know if I even need to go that far. The room is 15x20x8 and has a large opening into the kitchen. Mostly TV/movie watching with maybe 15% music. Paired with kef q700 and q600c. On a rare occasion do I watch/listen louder than -15 db and I'm currently planning for a dedicated theater build, so I can go crazy wit bass once that gets underway. Just looking for some opinions based on value vs output etc. thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Reaction I think has a pair of sealed 15's a b stock. Well under $2k. Perhaps that would work?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Might want to think ported over sealed for your situation. Ported really limits you, however, due to your size restriction. You can get dual Pc-2000's for $1,500. Maybe your wife would like the cylinder style better? Having a predetermined location for your subs doesn't always work out, however.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might want to think ported over sealed for your situation. Ported really limits you, however, due to your size restriction. You can get dual Pc-2000's for $1,500. Maybe your wife would like the cylinder style better? Having a predetermined location for your subs doesn't always work out, however.
I showed her what svs had in a cylinder design. I'm pretty sure that was where her "nothing ugly"comment originated from. I would definitely prefer a ported design, DIY at that, but I screwed myself the last time when I told her it wouldn't be that big. Now I have to play nice so I can get what I want for the dedicated theater. I don't need massive output or to dig to the bottom of the sea either. I figured duals would help make up some output difference between the sealed and a big ported and also help to smooth things out a little bit. I'm running a ported down firing 12" Boston from an old micro 90 setup right now. It's not terrible but I know I can do better. That's why I was leaning toward the uls15

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorta stuck with the location. I might be able to put one up front right and then sneak one in the left rear corner. At least I'll get some boundary gain. It's not ideal but could be worse. I could be stuck only buying only one, or with much less budget

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Your 18-inch cube size restriction (obviously based on the ULS-15) won't be easy to match. As has been stated, Jeremy over at Reaction Audio has an S-15 for sale at the outlet section. He's asking $500 (a great price) for the $650 sealed sub (20 x 18 x 20). He may even have two (and might cut a small deal if purchased together). If this is an acceptable size, contact Jeremy.

The Hsu ULS-15 would be a closer match sound-wise to the SVS SB13-Ultra, and if this is for mainly TV and movies, it's a pretty impressive sub, and certainly a step above the SB-2000. Two would be even more impressive. I've auditioned the ULS-15 in my home and was impressed with its movie LFE capability, especially for its size.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think a 20 inch cube would raise any flags with my wife, but any larger and it would be a problem. That pretty much takes out any worthwhile ported offerings. Ill have to give reaction a call. For the price difference vs the uls-15, I could do three... Hmmm, that would take some serious convincing- one would be fairly near field too. Might be the route I go

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Three would be great, but since the S-15 is a discontinued item, he only has one or two left. Do talk to him before it (they) are gone.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my only experience with any retail sealed sub was/is an svs SB-2000. In a room size similar to mine it performed adequately. But if dual uls-15's will be a few steps up, I don't have a problem spending the extra money. Too bad there's only one true way to find all of this out! I might have to give my ups guy a workout and bring in a whole crapload of subs and send back the ones that don't make the cut. If only I didn't have to clear all of this with the wife first. It sure would make things much easier

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
I don't think a 20 inch cube would raise any flags with my wife, but any larger and it would be a problem. That pretty much takes out any worthwhile ported offerings. Ill have to give reaction a call. For the price difference vs the uls-15, I could do three... Hmmm, that would take some serious convincing- one would be fairly near field too. Might be the route I go
This is an 18" cube and would have a pretty decent output advantage over the HSU and more over the S-15.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/s1500

The new Reaction Audio version of the PS15X is the same size as the S15 at 20x18x20 which makes it a little bigger than the PSA but packs more amp power and is $100 less.

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/subwoofers/products/gamma-15?variant=1107629493

Either would be a great choice.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
my only experience with any retail sealed sub was/is an svs SB-2000. In a room size similar to mine it performed adequately. But if dual uls-15's will be a few steps up, I don't have a problem spending the extra money. Too bad there's only one true way to find all of this out! I might have to give my ups guy a workout and bring in a whole crapload of subs and send back the ones that don't make the cut. If only I didn't have to clear all of this with the wife first. It sure would make things much easier
All the suggestions are from I.D. companies like SVS. Only SVS and PSA offer free shipping both ways. Most offer one-way free shipping. With Hsu you will need to pay the shipping, but their prices are such that it is still a great deal.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Without a doubt I would say go with RA's new Gamma 15. Their older PS15x had more output then pretty much any other 15" or smaller sealed sub from 20-60hz. Really one of the only issues with the slightly older PS15x was the Dayton amp and the fact that it had a built in 18hz high pass filter so below 18hz it rolled off like crazy and it didn't have a DSP. With the new Gamma 15 Jeremy has revised the driver to now also have copper shorting rings to help lower THD and switched to ICE power amps from SpeakerPower. The new amp is a major step up over the older amp and also has a DSP which will allow RA to optimize the bottom end so it should have no problem having excellent in room output to 10hz. The best part is that you can get dual Gamma 15's for $1600 shipped.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I certainly can't disagree with Kini or jbrown. The Gamma has some impressive specs and a significant step up from the S-15. Of course, the price is $600 - $650 higher for duals, but if you're looking for exceptional performance from a 15-inch sealed design, that extra cost is probably worth it and falls within your budget.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I certainly can't disagree with Kini or jbrown. The Gamma has some impressive specs and a significant step up from the S-15. Of course, the price is $600 - $650 higher for duals, but if you're looking for exceptional performance from a 15-inch sealed design, that extra cost is probably worth it and falls within your budget.
Yes it would be $650 more because I know for a fact that Jeremy is willing to sell those B-stock S-15's for $950 for the pair. If someone wouldn't be using the extra headroom that the Gamma 15 provides and the S-15's would be enough you're right they should grab that pair at a great price, and the subs still have full warranty too.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ordered dual gamma 15's. Super excited to be among some of the first to get my hands on what I'm Sure will be a great product. Because of my low post count-being a newb and all- I'll just give my thanks to Jeremy here in the hopes that he might see/read it. Got a very fast email response from him (at least I assume it was him), and on a Sunday no less. I will be sure to share with the avs community once I receive the subs and have a chance to give 'em a workout

1 - 17 of 17 Posts