Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___I have been reading reviews around the web on the recently released Noise Control’s “Silverado†CPU F/HS combo and the Thermalright SK6 all Copper HS’s. The Silverado’s in particular are supposedly quieter than the Molex Radials yet perform the task of removing the heat of a 1 + GHz T-Bird or more without a temperature problem. They can also be ramped up with the included HW to cool even 1.5 GHz and above future T-Bird’s and Palomino’s with a minimum of hassle. The problems with the Silverado include fit on various boards, weight, and the very high cost ($67.00 USD + $22.00 USD shipping to the states). I think the European’s have a leg up on most of us in regards to the cost and availability of this cooler in particular. The weight problem comes into effect in that the Silverado cannot be shipped mounted on the CPU’s for fear of breakage/damage but most of you will not be transporting your HTPC’s via USP/FedEX anyway http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif As far as the SK-6 is concerned, it has been performing very well with the high RPM Delta’s (high dB output unfortunately http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ). It also appears to be doing a good job with a lower dB output Sunon fan as well. I do not think the 27 CFM Sunon solution is optimal either but maybe a lower output (CFM and dB) 60 mm fan could work nicely. I have also been playing around with ducting 80 mm fans on top of GlobalWin HS’s on OC’ed T-Birds as well but the output pressure of the lower RPM 80mm fans do not appear to be enough to run through the top of a std. GlobalWin FOP32-1 Heatskink. If anyone has more information than the links provided, I would be greatly appreciative. In particular, a first hand review of the Silverado would be a nice addition to the many Quiet HTPC threads here in the HT Computer forum.

___Thanks in advance

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
542 Posts
I own the Silverado a few weeks now and I must say, it rocks! I live in Germany and paid about 150 DM (about 70 USD) includig shipping. The package included a manual, this white liquid heat transporter (I don't know the english word for that http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) and three twin cables (6V, 8V and 10V) for different speeds of the two fans. The Silverado is quite big and impressive with its pure silver on the bottom! I have a Thunderbird 800 overclocked to 900 MHz and an open case. I use the 6V cable which lets the fans rotate slow. With this cable there is absolutely no noise from the Silverado! With the 8V cable you can hear it and with the 10V it is a bit loud. For hardcore cooling you can connect the Silverado directly to the mainboard without one of the three cables, so it runs with 12V, which is quite loud! The Silverado is definetely worth the money!

------------------
FoLLgoTT

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just recently installed a Silverado CPU fan/heat sink on my 1GHz Athlon T-Bird HTPC. It really does make a big, big difference in terms of noise output. I'm running at the 6V setting and it's as quiet as the reviews suggest. It is quite large and some may have problems with fit. It was fine in a mid-tower case with an MSI K7T Turbo. I haven't noticed any change in cooling; the machine's running at the same temperature as it was with the stock fan that came with the CPU. The ultimate endorsement came from my noise-sensitive wife. She asked for a pair for her dual PIII setup!

---

[This message has been edited by acannon (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've been looking at Thermaltakes Mini Copper Orb which appears to get reasonable reviews. The specs suggest that for $15 you can't get much better - good cooling and reasonably quiet. (ie it's not the best cooler or the most quiet, but a reasonable compromise.)

Does anyone have experience with these or am I going to have to bite the bullet first??

------------------

How to end the oil crisis:

Drill all the oil. Burn all the oil. No more oil crisis.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've done a forum search and haven't seen this suggested yet, so here goes. Has anyone considered using a reostat bay bus unit to control the sound of their case cooling fans? If you don't know what a reostat bay bus is then have a look here http://www.pcmods.com/ under "products" / "Fan Control Devices". Basically it lets you control the speed and, as a byproduct, the sound of your case fans. This type of case modification has been around for a while and works pretty well. I actually made my own unit for my system. There are reostat and toggle switch versions of this modification so you could go with whatever looks or works best for your HTPC.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wayne,

The Silverado was mentioned about a week/15 days ago at both
www.amdmb.com www.amdzone.com

both sites linked to a good review, featuring cooling and noise considerations with the 4 different fan voltages. Unfortunately, I don't have this link, but I remember this cooler got an excellent review, considering the cooling-to-noise ratio.

There is a new Molex radial for the faster TBirds, which is also a bit louder than the original. From what I understand though, the Silverado is superior to these. You can find the Molexes at:
www.quietpc.com

Regards, RC

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you have a good heatsink, but a Noisy fan, I recommend another approach.

If there is room for a 8 cm or 9 cm fan in the back of the case, buy a quiet papst och panaflo, and run it on 7 volt.

Remove the fan on the heatsink, and create a "tunnel" I used a plastic 90 degree turn pipe. Modifiy the size and have the 9 cm papst blowing in air form the outside.

Works extremely well!

------------------

/Sören

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.