AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Vanns has this on sale for 130 bucks...the reason I am interested in this, is because it is a surge protecter that is visually appealing and can be used inside the cabinet itself. My 10 plug Belkin sits behind the entertainment center, but its so bulky it moves the whole unit 6 inches from the wall. If I had this, I would be able to move it flush back. My question is, does anyone have this and have any negative effects? I know the whole voltage conditioning and better PQ are snake oil claims, but like I said, would solely be getting this for looks and the ability to move my cabinet all the way back since all the units would be plugged into this, residing inside the cabinet instead of behind it...Any thoughts?

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...PreSeasonHDTVs

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
If your only reason for getting it is "for looks and the ability to move my cabinet all the way back" why even bother?

Or should we presume you actually need it for surge protection?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well of course surge protection too, figured that was given, but didn't want peoople to say "you can get surge protection for 1/5 the price". I'm looking to see if anyone knows of other benefits I may be overlooking

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never really heard of Monster being a company like this...do they win any of these claims? I wonder how they are still in business. This actually makes me not want to buy their products. Never really did before, but was just entertaining the idea since this was on sale and satisfied my need for an in cabinet surge protector.

Any other brands around this price that accomplish the same thing?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This HTS1600 only has 8 outlets and rated at 3.6kJ. I have a HTS1700 with 9 outlets and rated at 5.5kJ (for $150 during sale elsewhere). I like the 1800 more but it costs more. I'd not buy anything under 5kJ rating (search old posts for previous discussions). The other alternatives, Tripp-Lite, Belkin, or APC at equivalent spec at least and with similar form factor would cost more. YMMV...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a slight buzz in my subwoofer. I am assuming the coax connections from my satellite go through this as well, would it help eliminate the buzzing? Didnt want to go the cheaterplug route..

I also see it has a grounding post, where would I exactly ground that being indoors?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Coax normally goes through it but until you try it you won't know if it removes buzz, also not sure if 'buzz' is the usual 60Hz ground 'hum'.

Ground screw is for any incoming ungrounded components.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Monster makes fine products, their problem is they're an arrogant company and they charge way too much for their products. Obviously, if you need surge protection and would like to eliminate a bulky surge protector from behind your cabinet, one of these will do just fine. You may also want to consider Panamax or Belkin, both have some nice shelf standing surge protectors that are comparable to this Monster unit.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix /forum/post/20878158

Never really heard of Monster being a company like this...do they win any of these claims?

They usually rely on intimidation to get where they want to go. Very few of those cases go to court since Monster is suing small companies for the most part. And Monster has lost most of the ones that do go to court. Noel Lee (Monster Owner) is some sort of idiot IMO.

Even if he made the best product for the least amount of money - which he does not - I'm not putting one thin dime of my money towards enriching his bottom line until he quits his asinine behavior. His products are no better than Belkin or BlueJeans - both of which will cost you less for the same quality. His behavior borders on the neurotic.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the Pf60 since it was mentioned. Honestly I was just looking for something under 200 bucks and thought the Monster unit was the only one, though the Belkin looks nice and has more plugs. Has anyone noticed a better PQ when running the DirecTV coax through this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca /forum/post/20878420

Coax normally goes through it but until you try it you won't know if it removes buzz, also not sure if 'buzz' is the usual 60Hz ground 'hum'.

Ground screw is for any incoming ungrounded components.

I believe im getting the 60htz hum, when I changed my cable it mostly went away but its still barely there, wasnt sure if this would help with that or not.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Belkin PureAV PF30 & PF60 have been around for awhile and generally get excellent reviews. A lot of the reviews comment on how much cleaner the sound is & how much better the picture is. These aren't exactly fact-based reviews but there does seem to be quite a few of them so maybe some truth there. As mentioned earlier, ground loop hum can be a real bear to get rid of and almost every situation is unique. There are comments about the Belkin's fixing ground problems so I guess it's possible. One thing for sure, I've owned a lot of Belkin products (but not the PF60/30) and their quality is light years ahead of Monster. I agree with everything said about Monster as a company and will not buy thereir products.

I have noticed the price creeping up on both models the last week - maybe all the hurricane stuff. I'm sure they'll drop back down but they are pretty competitive even at current prices.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep /forum/post/20880582

Monster products are very over rated in their quality and specs. When I was the Furman/Panamax rep we always were able to blow up Monster surge protectors with over current.

Could you elaborate more? Isn't the device supposed to fail when it's overloaded? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.