AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the PS3 and my Toshiba Regza 42LX177. The two previously listed items already put me over budget, but I gotta have sound. I have read through some posts and it seems like the HK AVR 247 or the Onkyo HT-SR800 are good budget systems (the Onkyo being sold with speakers). However it seems as if none of the budget 7.1 lossless systems (~$400) passthrough 1080p24 on HDMI. I'm not an A/V-phile by any means, but it would seem worthless to "future proof" my home theater without such an option - I might as well go with a much cheaper system.

But what about optical? I already have enough inputs on my TV. Can I run the HDMI to my Toshiba and the optical to a receiver? This seems like it would ensure that p24 can get to my display. I could run my other HDMI source (HTPC) through the receiver because it is not a p24 source anyway. These two pieces will provide my sound in my theater 99% of the time, so basically the only things being hooked up (ok, maybe an component satellite box). Would the only downside to hooking up a system this way be an extra cable? It seems as if I would be happy with either of the two systems if the optical would solve the video passthrough issue.

Thanks a lot for any input.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Although I don't own this system (the Onkyo) I have a friend who does and 1. I'm pretty sure it will pass through 1080p it just won't upscale non 1080p sources 2. Yes if you would rather plug the hdmi cable into the tv you could plug the optical cable straight into the reciever.

·
Registered
498 Posts
another downside to that configuration is that you would miss out on the new lossless sound formats when watching blu-ray movies on your PS3.

·
Registered
597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan /forum/post/12881021

another downside to that configuration is that you would miss out on the new lossless sound formats when watching blu-ray movies on your PS3.

Shortly, I will be testing out lossless on a Panny BD30 (decoded by my Onkyo TX-SR875) vs LPCM out of the PS3 (set automatically as Multichannel out of the Onkyo) to my 7.1 setup to "hear" if there is a difference. I believe that my ears are not sensitive enough to pick out anything different. Time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygonuts /forum/post/12880545

Although I don't own this system (the Onkyo) I have a friend who does and 1. I'm pretty sure it will pass through 1080p it just won't upscale non 1080p sources 2. Yes if you would rather plug the hdmi cable into the tv you could plug the optical cable straight into the reciever.

Okay, well I seem to recall reading in the boards that there may be some difficulty in passing 24 fps source through the receiver. But thanks for the response on optical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan /forum/post/12881021

Okay, that was something I was wondering about...and I agree with JVi that my hearing will probably not be able to discern the difference (I think my eyes would be more critical), but its still good to note at decision making time.

EDIT: The more I read about PCM sound the more I believe I must have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A support staff at Harmon says the AVR 247 will pass 1080, but that the 24fps is not currently supported, but plans to be supported in a future software release.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got the new Onkyo TX-SR605 ($469 at C.C.) with full HDMI 1.3 compatability, great system for now and even future expansion. It will even decode the True HD and Dolby HD audio which most receivers under $700 wont do. Might want to do some research and check into it.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2thebone /forum/post/12883909

Okay, well I seem to recall reading in the boards that there may be some difficulty in passing 24 fps source through the receiver. But thanks for the response on optical.

Okay, that was something I was wondering about...and I agree with JVi that my hearing will probably not be able to discern the difference (I think my eyes would be more critical), but its still good to note at decision making time.

EDIT: The more I read about PCM sound the more I believe I must have it.

I would disagree. I've noticed the difference, and I just turned 40, so my hearing is already on the downhill side. I'm interested in JVi's take after his test, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. I would bet the difference between standard Dolby Digital and Dolby TrueHD is much more noticeable than the difference between 720p and 1080p video at normal viewing distances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan /forum/post/12898974

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. I would bet the difference between standard Dolby Digital and Dolby TrueHD is much more noticeable than the difference between 720p and 1080p video at normal viewing distances.

Appreciate your input, and your right not to be quick to dismiss. I just have paid more attention to video aspects of technology, and it is much easier to walk into a store and observe video quality than audio quality, so my experience in audio is limited to the 5.1 AIWA system I had years ago.

I got another response from the Harmon guy, and he expects the software upgrade on the 247 "in a few weeks".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts