AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the PW2200 work as a good musical sub?

My basement is 18'x10'x8'H. Broadband trapping in the corners and will be EQ'd with a BFD.

I want solid extension, but I also want nice tight musical bass for DVD-A and critical music listening.

I'd love to get the servo, but is twice my budget. Damn...

I would like any others experience with this sub. And any other recommendations for other brands. I've looked at JM Labs, Pure Acoustics, B&W and others but in my price range these don't have the extension i'd like for movies - though they look better suited for music.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The PW can be boomy. It's not any easy to place sub, due to that fact. I used to own 2 of them, stacked. I like my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 MUCH better for music and movies.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my concern. Placement in my fairly small room is limited too. I've currently got a PDR12 at the back of the room in the centre. It's O.K. there, but it never sounded very good in the corners.

I'd try SVS but the shipping/duty don't make it a very good option for me.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Why not try Hsu? They have Canadian dealers.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsushiba
I'd try SVS but the shipping/duty don't make it a very good option for me.
Considering how much a bargain they are, I'd save more $ & overlook that fact.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, but trying to compare a $2K US piece against a $850 CDN piece doesn't really make sense. If that was my budget I would've bought a Servo 15. And without being able to hear an SVS, it's hard to commit to that purchase.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
And without being able to hear an SVS, it's hard to commit to that purchase.
That's what I once thought...foolishly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did the upgrade PDR12 to PW2200 a few months ago... actually I'm running both subs.

I listen to 95% movies 5% music.

the PW can be a little boomy if the placement isn't right. after alot trial and error I was able to find the sweet spot and it doesn't sound boomy.

now finding the sweet spots for both the PDR12 and the PW was another story lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply PopolZ. That's great man...

I want an upgrade now, but I think i'm gonna wait and save my funds for the Servo. That's what i'm going to want in the end anyway.

Cheers!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I listened to the PW at my Paradigm dealer. I liked the sound of the sub, and it definately had some low end to it. It can definately compare to subs in its price range very well.

What exactly causes a sub to be boomy? Distortion? Uneven response curve?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Have you looked into Axiom? They're in Canada too.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply PopolZ. That's great man...

I want an upgrade now, but I think i'm gonna wait and save my funds for the Servo. That's what i'm going to want in the end anyway.

Cheers!
Hard to beat the Servo at any price. Look for the older V1 though. Plenty for under $1000 for sale used up here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.