AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had a DST-3000 with another Hughes SD STBs right on top of it, will both units react to the same IR remote control signal? Or is their a way to "address" the units (and remotes) so I can communicate with each them, via IR remote, separately?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I dont know about the remote question but I do know that you are not suppose to stack anything on top of the DST-3000. The DST gets too hot to have any thing on top of it.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hughes and sony remote control codes should not interfere with one another, though there is a slight possibility of some rdundancy cusing unpredictable results. As I recall sony and hughes earlier generation STB allowed multiple remote control channels to be set.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have two Sony receivers stacked one on top of the other - An HD100 and an Ultimate TV receiver. I made one IR and the other RF and they don't interfere with each other.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
DTC,

The DST-3000 is a Toshiba receiver made by Hughes. Hence, the question.

I don't know about the codes, but a good source to check it out would be www.hifi-remote.com, a site dedicated to info about remotes which should give you information about what the device codes are for the One for All remotes. It doesn't matter if you use those remotes, but the info at that site would at least tell you if they use the same code or not. You should also try www.remotecentral.com. I have one Hughes receiver (not the HD one) and it does not allow for two different sets of codes. I don't know about the Toshiba.

On the other hand, I would agree with Juan. These units are essentially "on" all the time and can be quite hot. I would not plan to stack one on top of the other.

SMK

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip. I went to www.hifi-remote.com and they do indeed different codes for "Hughes Network Systems" and Toshiba satellite systems. I also noted the Hughes and Mitsubishi codes do match. So it sounds like I might be in luck!

BTW, I'm not planning on actually stacking them on each other -- but rather they'll be in the same A/V rack.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From my experience...

I had my remote programmed for my Hughes Platinum E45. Got the BBuster E11. Later that week swapped in the DST3000. All the while never reprogramming the remote. I think you'll be out of luck. I considered it a benefit for me - I only had to add a few extra codes for the new Tosh.

Why would you want two boxes in the "rack" anyway?

BTW you should know by now that the HD box, made by Hughes, is sold as the Tosh and the Mits.

(you could use the RF (platinum) remote with one and standard IR for the other. Though that would require 2 remotes and you would have to somehow block (tape over) the IR pass-thru eye on the RF remote adapter)

------------------

Ken B.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have my house setup/wired for one STB. I have its signal, along the the VCR's signal, run to four different TVs in the house. I'm wanting a HD rec'r, but all the current ones (and the future ones I've seen so far) do not output 480i on composite AND 1080i on component at the same time. Since I frequently record things with my VCR, I'm wary on getting a HD STB where I'll have to remember to switch modes (to get a the box to record something on the composite) -- so I thought I'd just get two boxes and use the HD one just for the HD set and use the other SD one for the other three TVs and for the VCR. That's why I would want both boxes in the same room.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay... that's very convenient @ $5/month. Yes, I have to remember to hit the 480/1080 button before I record.

------------------

Ken B.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Blauvelt:
Okay... that's very convenient @ $5/month. Yes, I have to remember to hit the 480/1080 button before I record.
Yes I admit that paying an extra $5/month doesn't make a lot of sense, BUT I forgot to mention that my wife has been bugging me about getting a second rec'r so she can watch something different than me (so that's also factoring into my decision).

I think someone here with a DTC-100 mentioned that if the timer (to command the recoding) is setup via the SAT STB the it will automatically switchback to 480i -- is that true with the DST-3000? If so, then that wouldn't be so bad...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The Sony HD100, if you use the "timer and record" option when selecting a program, will automatically switch the output to S-video/composite when that program begins. It will NOT, however, switch back to component after the recording is done....

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Simandl:
The Sony HD100, if you use the "timer and record" option when selecting a program, will automatically switch the output to S-video/composite when that program begins. It will NOT, however, switch back to component after the recording is done....
That would be good enough for me...now I just need to find out if the DST-3000 has this feature!?!

Hey I also live in St. Peters, MO. How is HD reception for you? What kind of antenna/pre-amp are you using? Is it mounted in your attic?

·
Registered
105 Posts
My DST3000 will NOT switch to 480i output when set to record.

I was watching some HD. I set the little VCR icon to record a upcoming program in the program guide. The program came on and it stayed in 1080i. I think this is a bug that should be fixed. Why the heck would one want it on 1080i if there are no practical recording devices that accept component in. Perhaps Hughes knows something and is preparing for the future? It really should be a toggle in the set-up menu; RECORD IN 1080i - YES/NO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know there is an option(not sure where) in the DST-3000 to have multiple units, up to 4, I think.

Look under the installation menu.

Not sure if the Hughes has the same feature. I would think it does, since they are the same.

Regards,

·
Registered
437 Posts
what about putting the sd receiver in the room where your wife primarily watches other programming. then pass the signal to the other tv's from that receiver and do your recording from that receiver. Yes, you'll have to run another line in from the dish to that receiver, but you'll have your hd box running to your hd set full-time without having to worry about remote codes or switching between 480i and 1080i.

plus, if your experiences with ir-repeaters are anything like mine- every time I'm into a show, right at the crucial action or plot point, out of nowhere my wife switches to the weather channel from the bedroom and I've missed the moment. what ensues is a tug of war between my wife and I over what channel is to be watched- she thinks its funny to screw with me- especially during a big game.

good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.