AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This projector is more in my price range.

I realize that an optional ceiling mount can be purchased for the the XB31 but this isn't stated as an optional accessory for the SB21 on HP's website.

Does this mean that this projector can't be ceiling mounted?

Please, please, please, anyone that has an SB21, is there a menu option in the projector for it to be ceiling mounted or for the picture to be inverted?

If so, I'll probably get the SB21 very soon.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just went to HP's website and downloaded the XB31 and SB21 Users Manual.

It states that the SB21 does have a menu option for inverting the picture when ceiling mounting this projector.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was looking at this unit - seems to be a bargain if you consider the comparisons of the 31 to the LS110; this unit would seem to run close to even to the 110 (closer resolution, only marginal other differences - but for substantial brightness difference at 16:9).

HOWEVER; Look at the throw distances - it wouldn't have worked for me and no zoom.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really, really, really want the XB31 but why did HP come out with an M1 connection?

Also the XB31 has an svideo port so I can hook up my laserdisc player but the SB21 has some kind of proprietary svideo port in which you use a usb to svideo cable.

Again, how the heck would I hook up my ceiling mounted projector using the XB31 if the non-standard component cable isn't long enough (M1 to component needs to be at least 15 feet long) and the SB21 if the non-standard svideo cable isn't long enough (usb to svideo needs to be at least 15 feet long)?

I'm hoping that NEC will come out with a replacement for the LT150z that will match the XB31.

I know the 150z doesn't have a component input but at least it has svideo and vga.

Also, you can get a vga to component cable (female end) that attaches to a male to male component cable.

Maybe HP will see this and come out with another projector that has a component input at a later date.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an XB31 and have the hooked it up via both S-Video and Components with a run of about 20 feet. I purchased the cable from HP that gave me component capabilities and plugged it into a set of component cable that I made out of RG6 coax. The home made cables are about 20 feet long and work great. For the S-Video, I got a spool of S-Video cable and connectors and made it to the length that I needed.

I have seen a lot of comments about the HP projector and although I have limited experience since this is the first projector that I have set up in a home theater, I absolutely love it. I have a room that does not have full light control. Actually, it has very little control since the top half of some of our windows have nothing on them at all. Although this isn't a great setup in full sunlight, I am comfortable with it because the XB31 is so bright. For the most part we use this at night and I am thrilled with with outcome.

Happy to answer any other questions about this projector or the setup.

Steven

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shagler,

Is one end of the component cable that you made that plugs into HP's M1 to component cable female?

Basically, is your homemade component cable male on one end and female on the other?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
pcdoctor,

That's exactly right, male on one end and female on the other. In fact, I found it much, much easier to put f-type connectors on the coax and then use an f-type to phono-plug adapter on one end and f-type to phono-jack adapter on the other. Soldering the RG6 to a phono-plug just wasn't working for me.

Steven

·
Registered
81 Posts
PC - Another thing to consider is the '21 is SVGA and the '31 is XGA, less lumens also - 1000 vs 1500. Is this worth the $1200 diff? A question only you can answer!

My main frustration with my '31 is the cable - wish there were 5 (or more!) choices for component to M1 for me to consider. As you can see there are solutions... we will not be denied! I think that in time the cable dilema will be solved.

SHag - thanks for the cable solution!

I see StevenH got good results from a component feed -worth the effort, it appears!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.