AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys lets say I buy a projector and its capable of 16X9 but a movie is 4:3 and i have a screen will it go outside the screen. If i paint a screen onto a wall and its different formats how will i keep it from going over the border. Thanks any help would be great.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohustla /forum/post/15460878

Hi guys lets say I buy a projector and its capable of 16X9 but a movie is 4:3 and i have a screen will it go outside the screen. If i paint a screen onto a wall and its different formats how will i keep it from going over the border. Thanks any help would be great.

The projector takes the height of the 16:9 image and uses that height for the 4:3 image. This means you will have gray bars on each side of the 16:9 screen when watching 4:3 content.

·
867 Posts
If it is a home cinema projector it will be native 480p, 720p or 1080p which are 16:9. As mjg100 said it will display the 4:3 image with the same height as the 16:9 image, but with black bars to the sides.

If it is a bussiness presentation SVGA or XGA projector then it is native 4:3, it will display a 16:9 image with the same width as the 4:3, but with black bars above and below. A XGA projector may have the option to display the 4:3 image as "real" rather than expanded to XGA, in that case it will display the 4:3 image with black bars to the sides and above and below, in the middle of the area it would have used for a 16:9 image.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts