AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Thank god. The IMAX theaters are totally out of control. You end up with ringing ears and a headache walking out of a movie. Even some of the regular ones are getting as bad, but the IMAX ones take the cake as the worst offenders.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I was trying to imply that movies would not be as much fun if they limit the sound, cause I like it loud. And thus a good reason to build your own HT to turn it up. But, I guess if the sound bothers you, then I can see why you like the law. To each his own.

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
8,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW  /t/1521621/another-reason-to-build-a-great-home-theater#post_24457170

Thank god. The IMAX theaters are totally out of control. You end up with ringing ears and a headache walking out of a movie. Even some of the regular ones are getting as bad, but the IMAX ones take the cake as the worst offenders.

What's next? Concerts limited to elevator music levels? Limiting the size of popcorn bags and drinks to "protect the public from harmful foods". Oh wait, that's right, NYC has already tried that! These are private theaters owned by private business owners, not a public place you're forced to enter and endure a movie.

I don't know about you, but I've never been forced to sit through a movie or force fed popcorn or soft drinks. If you don't like loud movies, don't go. Simple. If there's enough people that want movies at 85 dB peak, then I'm sure some entrepreneur will open a movie theater with big signs that advertise "no loud sounds above conversation level". It sounds like it might be the perfect opportunity for you to turn your preference into a business. Don't count on me as a customer, unless the plan is to regulate my attendance at your theater. And no, that's not hyperbole.

It all makes great sense until they regulate something you enjoy or force you to purchase a product you don't want. I'll never understand why some invite the Government to regulate every aspect of our existence.

If this wasn't a very disturbing trend I wouldn't even comment. But allowing your viewpoint to go unchallenged is a dangerous thing given current events.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How would they enforce this? Who would and where would the measurement be taken. Sitting near the speakers at 85db may be loud enough, but someone sitting towards the back of the theater will have a hard time hearing the dialogue.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc  /t/1521621/another-reason-to-build-a-great-home-theater#post_24457898

I'll never understand why some invite the Government to regulate every aspect of our existence.

+1

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That is only a temporary solution. Soon, the jack-booted government thugs will be knocking on doors with SPL meters at the ready to take measurements on your private AV room.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Rock concerts and clubs are way way more harmful to hearing than movies. Air shows and drag strips can hit loudness levels way over 130 dB. There are theaters which run their systems too loud, but this is not the area in which people need to be protected from the most. The problem is people are a lot more critical of movies than their favorite band or club, so you will never see legislation aimed at those areas. And how about those sports games where the audience cheering can hit over 130 dB, and that is a sustained 130 dB. A double standard to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts