AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come for me to get a subwoofer. Per the sticky, I filled in all of the important information below. I would love to get some recommendations!

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706 (100w per channel)

Surround Speakers: Niles MP525 (full-range 65 Hz to 20 kHz, 5.25" woofer, 3/4" tweeter, 89 dB 2.83V @ 1 meter)

Budget - $200-$300

Size - the smaller the better for the WAF factor, but no real limitations or restrictions.

Room - 14'x18' but the floor plan is pretty open with the kitchen on one side and the dining room on the other.

Primary Uses - 80% HT/TV, 20% music

Listening Habits - not too loud and not too excessive on the low end. I like a natural, well balanced soundtrack - usually as close to what the creator intended as possible. And I don't want to scare the dogs too much - a little is cool though.

Appearance - black would be nice, finished is a plus. Not too big a deal, but nothing the wife would gasp at.

Timeframe - I can wait for shipping, but I don't really want to add my name to a list.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you can go just a little higher in you budget I believe you will be extremely happy with this sub. I've never heard one but I have heard that for the price its hard to beat unless you look for a used sub.

Elemental Designs - A2-300: Frequency Response – 18 Hz – 100 Hz, Power – 300 Watts RMS Continuous, 12” down firing subwoofer with single front firing 4” flared port - $350

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18255950

If you can go just a little higher in you budget I believe you will be extremely happy with this sub. I've never heard one but I have heard that for the price its hard to beat unless you look for a used sub.

Elemental Designs - A2-300: Frequency Response – 18 Hz – 100 Hz, Power – 300 Watts RMS Continuous, 12” down firing subwoofer with single front firing 4” flared port - $350

Yes, check the size and if your wife can handle it order one real soon, like today, because the price is going up to $415 in the next day or two.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

·
Registered
653 Posts
I recommend the same for that price. Heads up though: They're built to order so don't expect delivery for several weeks.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I agree the A2-300 is an excellent choice. Keep in mind that you're possibly looking at a wait of a month or more though. Sounds like Elemental Designs is pretty backed up with the A2-300 - especially due to the upcoming price increase.

Another good option is the Hsu STF-2 . It's also a bit out of your price range ($349 + shipping) but should have decent output and great sound quality - not to mention it's a bit smaller than the A2-300.

Finally, if you need to keep the budget below $300, check out the Premier Acoustics PA-120 or some of the Bic offerings (there are several). Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts