AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. I've been looking for a set of speakers for quite a bit and I'm sort of confused as to which ones I want to get..

I haven't got much space and this set will be in my living room which is somewhat small..

I'm looking for a pretty cheap but decent sounding set of 2.1 or 5.1 speakers & sub for about $700.. Picked up the Pioneer VSX-1019 reciever and need something to pair it up with..

The speakers would mostly be used for watching regular TV/movies, etc (since my TV speakers are absolutely awful).

I have a toddler at home so I don't really have anywhere to put a set of standing speakers so I would think bookshelf speakers should be most adequate.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not very knowledgeable about speakers to be quite honest.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
A set of Polks would also be an excellent choice. The
Monitor 40s would work great in that small space for front mains - they sell for around $140/pair from Polk Audio on ebay. The
CS1 center sells for well under $100 - a pair of
Monitor 30s will run ~$50-70 leaving enough for a small sub. The
Energy subs get a lot of respect - the 8hg will usually go for under $100. You should be able to cobble all that together for under $500. Of course you could get Monitor 40s all round - and a bigger sub is always a plus.

Take a look at a few of these subs here .

I have a PS212 - you'd likely find it to be a bit big in your smallish room - but there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to audio.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll take those sets under consideration..

Sad thing is that there's nowhere I can compare the sound of any of these sets..

Canada is really crappy

My biggest issue is the toddler knocking down tall speakers and doing other things that I cannot yet imagine.. Not to mention the only place my TV would fit was over the fireplace so there's not very much space to put the speakers..

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademiks /forum/post/16995055

Thanks guys, I'll take those sets under consideration..

Sad thing is that there's nowhere I can compare the sound of any of these sets..

Canada is really crappy

My biggest issue is the toddler knocking down tall speakers and doing other things that I cannot yet imagine.. Not to mention the only place my TV would fit was over the fireplace so there's not very much space to put the speakers..

Small bookshelf speakers with a decent sub will give you most of the sound you are looking for. Many smaller speakers come with wall mounting brackets. JBL makes some very good sounding
L820s - Harman Audio has them on ebay. Look to spend around $200 for a pair with wall brackets. Matching center would be either the
LC1 or
LC2 . The LC2 is better but the LC1 is pretty good. Both come with wall brackets.

The L810s are OK - the L830s too - but the L820 is a true 3 way speaker - don't let the 4 way label fool you - the minuscule high range tweeter cannot be heard by 99% of the earths population so it appears to be more gimmick than anything - at least in my opinion.

Try looking on ebay.ca for any of these speakers. The links are for you to see what is available here - and possibly in Canada as well.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
you did not mention you were in Canada, you might still be able to find good sale prices on Energy "C" series speakers. The C-50 bookshelf units and C-C50 matching center are the smallest of the "C" series, C-100's were larger and C-300/500's were mid sized towers. Since Energy is a Canadian company you might have better luck finding some to listen to. Good luck.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/16995159

you did not mention you were in Canada, you might still be able to find good sale prices on Energy "C" series speakers. The C-50 bookshelf units and C-C50 matching center are the smallest of the "C" series, C-100's were larger and C-300/500's were mid sized towers. Since Energy is a Canadian company you might have better luck finding some to listen to. Good luck.

Why is it I can never remember that Energy Speakers are made in Canada?(slaps head!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts