AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this home theater thing and I was wondering if some of you more experienced people could give me some recommendations. Pretty much the only condition is that my wife won't let me have wires running to the back speakers. I know this eliminates a lot but whatever the wife says goes. For this reason, I'm thinking of only getting 2 fronts and a center channel right now....and possibly a sub.

TV ROOM- 12 foot ceilings, sit 15 feet from tv (also depth of room) and the room extends very long but my tv setup is pushed into one corner. Think large rectangle with kitchen and dining connected on the right and tv room pushed all the way into front left corner. So speakers would face a wall that is about 15 away but to the right the room is wide open.

PRICE - need to keep it under $1000. I have a kenwood receiver right now, but the impedence is only 6 ohms...will this be a problem? If I need a new receiver I might possibly go slightly above $1000

I listen to some music, but it will most be for movies and digital cable. The split would probably be 70% dig cable/20% movies/ 10% music.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronkster /forum/post/0

Pretty much the only condition is that my wife won't let me have wires running to the back speakers. I know this eliminates a lot but whatever the wife says goes.

One pair of good floorstanders, and up your budget so you get something half way decent. Sorry about your situation with the wife.

·
Registered
934 Posts
pronkster, I think you are on the right track thinking fronts, center and sub. I'd definitely go with a center channel given your room configuration. You have quite a few choices for a 3.1 set up for $1000, and some are even half way decent imho.

Check out SVS and Hsu for subs. You should able to do something in $400 - $500 range. Won't be perfect in your large room, but should still be worthwhile. For speakers I'd consider x-ls ($219/pr) for L&R and x-cs ($139 ea) for center from **********. They also have sub options that may work. In my opinion they are the best option for a value system. Good sound quality + good build quality & finish at a very reasonable price.

Definitely spend more time reading here for recommendations. There are lots of threads about this price range. And, spend some time listening to whatever you can locally.

Can't help too much on the receiver without having more info, but check out that forum for recommendations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, those av123 maple speakers look amazing and the quick reviews I've read are glowing.

Probably a stupid question....Will these av123 speakers go with a SVS or SHU sub? Do I need to "match" a sub with the speakers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's some pics of my tv setup. The TV is setup in a little nook. The room opens up to another large room to the right of the TV. To the left of the TV is a wall and right behind where i'll be sitting is another wall

I was planning on putting two floorstanding speakers (possibly x-sls) to the left of the fireplace and right of the stairs. Is that a bad idea?

Also, will a sub behind the TV in that little nook work or will all the sound get caught in that nook?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the market for for a new 5.1 system. I was hoping to get som opinions.

My room is 12'6" X 14' and i was looking for speakers to hang on the wall. I just auditioned the Focal 3-Sib XL (one being the center) w/ 2-Sib rears and the Cub2 system at tweeter. I thought it sounded pretty good. But I hear so much on the forum about the orb sat's. For the Focal system for about $1500 for the orb's $1000.

Has anyone have experienced the SibXL system and is it worth the extra $$$ for the system or are the orb's just as good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.