AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm considering a speaker upgrade for my bedroom that is moderate in size, but open to another room (will measure the room when I get home). The system is used almost solely for music. The AVR I'm using is a Pioneer VSX-1123K and the speakers currently are an old pair of Technics SB2840 that I inherited from my grandfather. The bass on the speakers is great, as they have 12" woofers and are pretty efficient, but the clarity isn't wonderful. I listen to a broad variety of music, usually at low-moderate volume, including rock, jazz, classical, pop, reggae. I do especially like hip-hop music, and I haven't yet decided if I will be doing a 2.0 or 2.1 system. The bass doesn't need to be too intense, but I would still like to enjoy my rap. I have a pair of Cambridge S30s upstairs on my HT that have great sound, but only extend down to 60hz, so I miss some frequencies on my rap and dubstep.

I have a planned budget of around $500, but I'd be willing to hold off and spend up to $1000. The form factor is up for discussion, as I have no decided what type of fixture I will be using to house the speakers (shelf vs stands vs floorstanders), but I'd be interested in a pair of bookshelves if possible to find with a decent low end.

Some options I've looked into include the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, Ascends, Arx, EMP tek, etc. I have also done some looking into some DIY solutions, which I would be interested in. Some discussion about pros/cons of towers vs bookshelves for a 2.0 setup would be helpful. Any recommendations for a stereo set of speakers to fit the bill, either pre-made or DIY would be appreciated. Please note re:DIY that I would likely need a kit with a flatpack and ideally pre-assembled crossovers. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Since you are using a surround receiver that can handle bass management, it would be easy to go with bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer for the deep bass, which gives you another option.

Here is something I would consider at the price you say you can eventually do:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/philharmonitor.html

They have deep bass for a bookshelf/standmount speaker.  Which is a good thing, since at their price, you will not have enough money left over for a decent subwoofer with the budget you mention.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if anyone has heard and can compare the sound of the Philharmonitors, the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 and the Sierra 1s? These are all pairs that are within my price range and all seem to get great reviews. I'm also starting to get the impression that a 2.1 system is going to be tough to beat with a 2.0 system without going significantly over budget. The budget I stated before is for a stereo set only and a subwoofer would be added later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon further consideration, as this system is in my bedroom and there is not a ton of space to keep the speakers away from the wall, something that is front-ported is likely going to be the best option. I'm imagining that a couple of inches from the rear wall is where the speakers will likely sit with a maximum of maybe 12 inches possible

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsgillen  /t/1522961/another-relative-newb-looking-for-advice/0_100#post_24510983

Thanks for the reply. I'm wondering if anyone has heard and can compare the sound of the Philharmonitors, the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 and the Sierra 1s? These are all pairs that are within my price range and all seem to get great reviews. I'm also starting to get the impression that a 2.1 system is going to be tough to beat with a 2.0 system without going significantly over budget. The budget I stated before is for a stereo set only and a subwoofer would be added later.

It is unlikely that you are going to find someone who heard all three in the same room on the same day.  And then there is the issue of the fact that different people have different preferences anyway, so even if you did, it would be no guarantee of anything.

Regarding the question of 2 speakers versus 2.1, if you are wanting deep bass more than anything else, then a 2.1 system will be the way to go.  However, by putting all of the money into a better pair of speakers will give you better sound from midbass on up.  So you need to decide what matters to you, as this is a preference issue.  I personally would be looking for a pair of the best speakers I could get in your price range, but I am willing to give up really deep bass for better sound from midbass on up.  And do not be misled by me saying that; I own a pair of SVS Ultra subwoofers (an old version), and love them.  But all music is affected by midbass on up, whereas only some music requires really deep bass.

Of the three speakers you mention, I would try the Philharmonitors.  First, according to the specifications, the bass is deeper than the others (in the case of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, since they do not specify a tolerance for the frequency response, the specification in their case is worthless; it could be +/-10dB or anything else).  Second, I know I like good ribbon tweeters, so I would imagine that they will be suited to my tastes.  However, I have not heard the speakers in question, and so I cannot say definitively that they are better, or even that I would like them better if I did a fair listening comparison of the three speakers.

The Philharmonitors also have front ports, which you say you want.  The other two speakers on your list have rear ports.

And, of course, with more money later, you can add a subwoofer and get all the deep bass you want (assuming your budget allows it).  I recommend looking at ported SVS subwoofers for a good value, with good customer service and good warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts