AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Model HLR4667WX

The TV started making a loud humming noise, but was still working with no picture problem. Now when you turn it on, you hear a quick click, then the humming noise kicks in, it cycles a few times with the click and noise until it stops. The lamp and temp light are on and there is no picture. You have to unplug it to restart this process. I have read many threads about this problem, some say it's just the lamp. I opened the tv and I see the lamp turns on for a few seconds and then turns back off with every cycle. If the lamp was bad, will it still turn on? Also, the humming noise was going on before "the lamp went out". I have no electronics background, but have fixed some before with instructions. My TV is about 4-5 yrs old so i just want to know if it's worth fixing. Sounds like the parts are not too cheap. Any suggestions on what my problem is will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The humming would point to a failing color wheel, in the $100ish price if you fix it yourself. After 4 or 5 years, you will need a new bulb now or very soon. Both could be causing the problem. Bulb is about $150. You should check around online for prices to be sure. Is it worth it? If you can fix it yourself, it may be worth it. If you have to have a tv tech do it, no it's not worth it.

Before you order any parts, price an LCD in the size you'd replace it with to see how much it would cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts