AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anyone with my problem and maybe I can't get it fixed. I recently purchased a new dish RCA eliptical that includes the 4x4 multiswitch. Unfortunately, I need 6 lines out as I have 2 Directivo's and 1 SA receiver and a new Zenith STB HD receiver. Here's the problem:

I ran the two 101 line to a 3x8 multiswitch and then 2 lines out of the 3x8 into the 4x4 multiswitch that came with the new dish. When I ran the cables from the B line into the low voltage on the 4x4 and the combined B and C line into the high voltage, I didn't get any reception on either the B or the C. When I reversed the B and C lines, I got the B reception and can now receive HBO and HDNet along with all the 101 signals.

So, now I have the HBO and HDNet and an appointment for a Sat-C install. They are scheduled to come in a couple of weeks. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike (DaBears)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did the elliptical dish included a multiswitch separately from the dish or was it thenew wineguard that is incorporated in the arm?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 4x4 multiswitch came with the dish but it is not, by necessity, integrated. I have it located near my receivers in the house. The 4 inputs to it are the "B" line, "B/C" line and two 101 lines coming from the 3x8 multiswitch. As I indicated, I needed to reverse the B and B/C lines in order to receive HBO and HDNet. When I had them in the right slots, I was unable to receive either the B or the C signals.

Thanks,

Mike (DaBears)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I could save a couple hundred bucks. I can't understand why I can be the B satellite when its plugged in reverse and why I can't get the C satellite at all. I fear I might go spend the $200 for the 5x8 and still have some other problem. I tried sending the 101's straight into the switch and I get the same result.

·
Registered
97 Posts
From what I understand, the problem may be because you are cascading the output from one MS into the input of another MS. The 2nd MS will not pass the 22Khz tone needed to choose the 119 Sat. Just a guess though, but I know that is DTV faux pas.

Have you double checked the lines coming from the dish are what you think they are? Easy mistake to make as I can tell you.

Also, if you decide to go with a 5x8 MS, check out www.18inch.com Bruce has an Eagle Aspen switch for $130. I bought some stuff from there and had no problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks kartracer.

I tried going straight into the 4x4 switch to see if everything worked and it didn't. I get the same result...I can only receive the B satellite information if the B/C line and the B only line are reversed.

I guess I'll wait for the pro installer to tell me if I have a signal or not and then I'll purchase the 5x8 as needed. By the way, your link didn't seem to work for me.

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I you only want to split the 101 signal out for the tivo's (you give up NASA) you could just use two satellite bandwidth splitters from Radioshack on the two 101 lnb outputs. Send two of those to the 3/8 switch and the other two the 4/4 switch sat a.(101). Run the 119 (satb) signal to the 4/4 with sat c combined per the instructions.

Rick

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Wezar

I have two d-tivo's will I need 3 of those spliters so I can get six outputs all together; 2 for the 4x4 and 4 for the 2 d-tivo's?

Will this explain why I can only get the sat-b signals working with the b and the b/c are switched on the 4x4?

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)

·
Registered
957 Posts
you have to use the splitters before the multiswitch from what I have learned on this forum. I don't think you can just split them off to three outputs and run them to the recievers. That is what the multiswitch is for. I thought you already have a 3/8 switch. That one would have outputs for the Tivos plus room for four more recievers. The 4x4 with the sat c combiner would be for the SA and your HD receiver and room for 2 more standalones or one of the Tivos leaving only one Tivo without access to the NASA channel.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Mike,

Double check that you have the Sat C combiner inputs connected to the proper locations. Also, it is very easy to swap wires accidentally (unless thay are different colors or something), so if they are swapped or if you are not positive, switch them. If it still does not work properly, try swapping the B and B/C connections to the multiswich the other way again.

Adding splitters should not make any difference since you are having the problem with only the 4x4 switch connected.

BTW, what are the approximate distances of the cables from the dish to the switches and the switches to the receivers?

Robert

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the posts. The sat-c install guy comes this Saturday. At this point I don't know if the problems in the sat-c lnb, the combiner, the wiring, the alignment or what. Hopefully, he'll clue me.

thanks again,

Mike (Da Bears)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The DirectTV installer arrived this morning promptly at about 9 a.m. As expected, he'd never seen an HDTV installation before so he had to learn as he went. He was very thorough and helpful (nobody else in his organization seemed to know anything about it either).

After four hours of testing everything, he concluded that my Satellite C LNB is not working and I should order a new one.

Its on its way and should be here in 3 to 5 days. Is Showtime HD really worth this effort?

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.