Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some screenshots for y'all

http://www.uberkhans.com/photos/sanyoplvz112042002/

these were taken using a canon S110 camera. The projector is hooked up to a progressive scan dvd player and an HTPC. The pictures taken were of movies running through the HTPC at 960x540.

image is being projected on a 72x40.5 DIY screen using blackout fabric stapled to a frame made up of 4 2x4s covered with black felt.

enjoy :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
That image looks very good. How far does the Z1 sit from the screen to create a 72x40.5 image? How does it look on standard 4:3 programming (both the Z! and the screen)?

I am intrigued by your DIY screen. Hop you don't mind if I ask a few questions about it....

Where did you get the fabric for your screen?

Is it much more economical than buying a pre-built screen?

Does the blackout fabric give results on par with a pre-built screen?

Any tricks you can share about building your own screen?

Thanks,

Sayer

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9.5 ft

I've only tried it with progressive and HTPC sources - haven't hooked it up to my tivo yet - so no 4:3 sources yet.

Also I haven't tuned the projector in any way - this is right out of the box. no dead pixels! :)

regarding the screen

it took my wife and I ~ 3 hours last night to make the screen. We got 4 2x4's - cut at 45 degress on each end (home depot miter saw). We got some black felt from hancock fabrics and staple gunned it to the 4 individual 2x4s first. Then we assembled the screen frame using 31/2 inch screws. The screen fabric is curtain liner, also from hancock fabrics. I asked them for some blackout cloth and they said the closest thing they had was curtain liner. It's basically a very very light shade of grey rubbery type material. It's also attached to the frame using staples. I had to pull the crap out of it to stretch it that tightly.

total cost: $ 40 :)

It looks great and I'm very happy with it but I'm going to build another screen (actually 3 more for 16:9, 4:3, and the third aspect ratio). This time I'm going to use metal brackets to attach the frame together. Also I may go with some lighter wood for the frame - not so sure about the quality of regular framing 2x4s. May look into using velco or buttons to attach the screen material rather than just stapling it on.

initially I wanted to go with a da-lite cinema vision HCCV screen but the one with the kind of frame I wanted (thick aluminum frame with pro-trim) was setting me back a good $ 800 - even more actually since this is a custom size. That screen is available at a more reasonable price ~ $ 400 but on a butt ugly aluminum frame.

The picture quality looks great on the blackout fabric. However at some point I am going to buy some of that da-lite fabric (just screen material) and try that as well once I've perfected the art of making a frame.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Khans,

When using progressive component have you seen any faint thick dark horizontal bands particularly on dark reds ?

Thanks,

Matt.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I really like that flip up door on the front. I wish the AE300 had that. I'll probably end up making a custom enclosure to sit over the whole projector when not in use. Dust is no friend to a projector.

Brent

·
Registered
117 Posts
Care to comment on noise level? There have been some who have experienced occasional loud "spin-up" periods when the projector gets hot. This would really disrupt the movie experience for me... Have you experienced this phenomenon?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of nights, the smell has gone away, and I haven't heard a spin-up yet tonight. It's pretty close to my head until I figure out a ceiling mount solution, did notice a few big whirs last night. Kinda thought something busted, but all is well so far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've noticed that the Z1 will spin up during the middle of a movie for a couple of minutes. While it's not ideal it's not really a deal breaker for me either. With 7.1 surround sound blasting, it really depends on what kind of movie and where in the movie are you for it to become a distraction.

On a slightly different note - I built a DIY mount for my Z1 today. Don't have my digital camera on me otherwise I'd take pictures but it was very straightforward to make.

I got a omnimount speaker mount (can hold up to 20 lbs) and attached a wooden plate (spray painted black) to it (using nuts + bolts) which I then attached to the projector using 3, 2 inch screws.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was wrong in my previous post. Turns out I wasn't in the econo, or half bulb icon mode until tonight. Watched "Saving Private Ryan" in supersaver mode, didn't have a spin up during the movie.

I read in another thread that you can access the service menu and find out what firmware you have. I couldn't get it to work, but I'm from America and don't like to work anyway.

·
Registered
361 Posts
khans,

Thanks for the info. I think I picked up a 1/4 'coarse' which of course doesn't work.

Thanks for the pics of the mount. I'm planning something very similar

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
khans,

What did you do with the air intakes on the bottom of the projector? Did you cut a hole in the wood where they are or did you just cover them up?

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow Khans, That is EXACTLY the same way I built the mount for my sony projector. I used an Omnimount also. Guess great minds think alike......

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo

What did you do with the air intakes on the bottom of the projector? Did you cut a hole in the wood where they are or did you just cover them up?
I would think that isn't necessary. It is sort of like a table mount in terms of clearance and what-not. Unless the firmware somehow changes the fan logic when setting is 'ceiling'.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rob,

there's an inch and a half clearance between the bottom of the projector and the wooden plate. Was debating what material to use (wood, metal, plastic) - wood turned out to be the easiest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Khans is that a second plate you have at front of projector in some of the photos. Don't suppose you know if any US suppliers of that omnimount would ship to UK. It looks ideal for the job. How much was the omnimount btw?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
here's the parts / price breakdown

- 20 lb capable omnimount speaker mount ($ 40 from magnolia hifi)

(didn't want to take a chance with the 10 lb one and didn't want to pay for the 30 lb)

- 12 inches x 8 inches piece of wood ($ 5 from home depot)

(these were used to attach the omnimount to the wood plank)

(these are all from home depot for ~ $ 3)

- 4 1 in. long 1/4" coarse screws

- 4 1/4" screw bolts

- 4 washers

- krylon heat resistant black spray paint ($ 4)

(these were used to attach the projector to the wood plank)

(these are all from lowes for ~ $ 3)

- 3 2 in. long 1/4" fine screws

- 3 1/4" fine screw bolts

- 6 washers

I have the mount screwed into a stud in the ceiling. The mount comes with 2 3 inch screws to do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.