AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I replaced the capacitor and solved the disk loading problem. My current problem is that after playing a CD or DVD and the player is at a standstill, when I push the Open button on the front panel to retreive the disc the front display goes out and the player appears to turn itself off. This happens after almost every disc. To fix the problem I must recycle the power using the main power switch on the front panel. This fixes the problem immediately. I have not tried the Open button on the remote yet.

Has anybody else had this problem? Would a less than perfect soldering job on the capacitor cause this? My soldering job on the new capacitor wasn't pretty, but I am certain I didn't damage anything else on the board. I guess it could be possible though that the new capacitor isn't making a perfect contact with the board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I see the same problem!!

I replaced the cap 4 months ago, and it has been

working fine since then.

Then the problem you described happen last week.

I does not happen everytime I reload the disc.

It happened to me a few times now.

Anyone has a fix for it ? Or at least know what the problem

is?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I switched the cap after it wouldn't play a disc anymore - it fixed it, and even improved the picture and sound quality. Now it won't allow access to the setup menu to switch between Pal and NTSC: a cap upgrade is today's little chore... :(

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've been running mine for half a year now since I modded it - still going strong. Those of you doing a second replacement, what capacitor did you originally replace it with? I'm trying to figure out if using a better capacitor than the original one (rated for higher temps etc) fixes the problem entirely or just prolongs the life of the power supply. If it's the latter then there's something fundamentally wrong with the design of the PSU, not just a bad batch of capacitors.

As for bad soldering - what does the solder look like? Is it kind of matte and brittle - or bright and shiny? If it's matte then it's just a bad solder joint. Re-heat the solder so it achieves its normal state and let it cool (don't blow on it).

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just received my Skyworth, and I have been very pleased with the audio and video results.

However, I am experiencing the same problem of the unit powering off when after you touch the front panel. I believe that this problem may stem from a static discharge when a any button on the front panel is touched.

I found that if I just use the remote to open and close the tray it works fine, but if I touch the front panel, either to eject or hit play, the problem occurs.

So far (the past two nights), the problem has not reoccurred if I first touch the metal box of my Panamax power conditioner to discharge any static before touching the Skyworth.

I would be interested to hear what others have found.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I replaced the HK plug and cord on my unit with a grounded plug and cord from a computer. The ground wire terminates in a spade connector inside the unit, screwed down to contact the metal case using the existing screw that holds on the left rear plastic foot. I replaced the plastic strain relief with a rubber grommet and the cord is pressure-fit through it.

No static or power-off problems.

I never leave the physical switch on when the player is unattended... I consider the flaky power supply in this player too much of a fire hazard.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I love to tweak, so I replaced the Skyworth power cord with a custom design from Alan Maher (see description below). I used the ground wire to connect to a capacitor filter, also designed by Alan Maher, but I did not ground the wire to the chassis to avoid any ground loop problems.

Sounds like it is worth a try to ground the power cord to the chassis – maybe this will solve some of the other power supply issues. I agree that it is a good idea to not leave the physical switch in the “on†position while the unit is unattended.

If anyone is interested in the “full monty†of tweaks I intend for the Skyworth, you can see this prior post that probably goes into more detail than you want to know. DVD Tweaks

Since the Skyworth is relatively inexpensive and the warranty is of questionable value, I think this is a perfect machine to experiment with. I believe that Alan’s tweaks can turn this unit into an exception DVD/CD player.

PERFECT POWER CORD (designed by Alan Maher with parts purchased from Micheal Percy Audio): XLO Ref 10A power cable ($16 a foot) coupled to a Levitron 5366-C 20A 3-prong plug ($8). The XLO cord is a shielded cable with 6 twisted strands (2 hot, 2 neutral, 2 ground) with a drain wire on the outside of the shield. Twist pairs together, do not solder. Wrap the two ground wires around the shield drain and then connect all three wires to earth ground on Levitron plug. Treat all wires with Caig ProGold before inserting into Levitron plug. Connect other end directly to component or connect to IEC female connector. If you want to go all out, replace the Levitron plug with the WattGate WG-330 made by Kimber Cable ($85 at PartsExpress!) See WattGate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.