AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am looking to replace my current TV and seek your collective input for a replacement. Here are the parameters:

1. I currently own a Sony KV-36FS10 which the manual states has the dimensions of (w/h/d) 38 3/8" x 29 3/4" x 25 in. The TV is in a piece of furniture that is built to accomodate up to a 36" 4:3 set. The furniture has two doors that open and then slide toward the back of the furniture on either side of the TV. However, the Sony's side speakers make it just a bit wider than the furniture could handle while leaving the doors intact, so I removed the doors. My wife's only request is that the replacement TV permit the doors to be reinstalled and used. I estimate the width requirement of the new TV be not greater than 38".

2. I have a HiPix DTV-200 which I use to receive, record and playback OTA content, including what I understand to be 720p programming from ABC. The most convenient connection method from HiPix to a HD set would be via the VGA connector. However, I believe that there are adapters that I could purchase to run broadband component cables between the two.

3. I live in a suburb of Chicago and am able to receive HDTV OTA signals. As such, I would say 50-60% of the content viewed on the TV would be HD 16:9. The bulk of the 4:3 viewing would be done by my wife and kids during the day (kid's video tapes, daytime TV, etc.). I would prefer not to burn grey bars in the side of a 16:9 set if that would be side effect of purchasing a 16:9 with my family's current viewing habits.

4. I have a 2- to 3-year-old Sony DVD player that does not offer progressive scan outputs. I am not adverse to purchasing a new DVD player that can handle the following media (CD-R & CD-RWs containing SVCD, VCD, audio & MP3s, as well as DVD-RW and DVD-R media).

For the last few days I have read the threads in this forum but am not any closer to a solution. Hopefully, someone out there will have a similar setup. I am glad to find such valuable information as sets not accepting 720p on component inputs, because that would have made me mad if I got home with a new TV and found that out.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DonBerg,

Thank you for your reply. The Panasonic is the one that I've been leaning towards, myself. I basically narrowed the list down by the physical dimensions, too, but I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with the Panny utilizing a configuration similar to mine.

I read a thread where there were issues when a DTC-100 was being used, but I haven't seen anything else that would dissuade me from purchasing it. This set even has the 3:2 pulldown which is a good thing.

Thanks, again, for your input.

Brian

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The last thing you should be thinking about is fitting a new possibly HDTV 4:3 or 16 x 9 inside a heat producing and TV *life* shortening cabinet. This may be the reason your set is going, Direct TV sets should be air free on all areas. Take mine I have 3 fans running while set is on and 1 that runs 24/7/365.

MY RCA F-38310 is free standing on a locking stand with plenty of cool air to go into the fan(odometer reading tonight 14,176 hours since may 2, 2 2001). The same type that cools your puters Pentium IV from Intel©, the parts that are used today are for compression and compression builds heat and heat destroys your investment.

Our families 1954 Admiral TV is still running (sold to good friend), because in those days their were no entertainment centers to shorten the life of TV sets, Brian that's my 2¢. Good Luck on your decision and I hope you take my Entertainment Center advice seriously. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
As a sales councilor at CC I have people come in all the time w/ that dilemma. An entertainment center designed for traditional 4:3 set's, unfortunately the speaker "ears" stick out too far on most sets, so there forced to down grad to a 32" or go w/ a panasonic, which I think is a nice set, so I'd lean toward it, have sold a fair amount including the 32", the 34", and their analog counterparts, and they have had lots of success, Joe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hob & Joe,

Thank you for your help. Hob, you're absolutely correct about the TV not going into the cabinet. I was very concerned about that when we bought the cabinet. There is a full 18" above the highest point (front) of the TV until the top of the cabinet. The back 8" of the TV sticks out past the end of the cabinet, and where the cabinet ends, there is 25" of clearance to the top shelf. Past the front part of the TV where the built-in speakers are located and where the vent holes begin there is a minimum of 3" of space between the wall of the cabinet and the TV. It quickly expands past that.

I realize that anything other than placement in free air is less than ideal, however, having a TV is better than no TV and that is what would happen if I got rid of the cabinet. The spouse approval factor is definitely a consideration until I am able to build my own dedicated home theater.

Thank you so much, however, for the input that will help me protect my $1800+. I truly appreciate it.

Joe, it looks like the Panasonic is the route to go. Since you work at CC, have you seen this set paired up with the Zenith HD-SAT250? I am thinking about also getting that tuner because the computer is not exactly wife-friendly yet. I am most concerned about the native 720p passed on from the Zenith to the Panasonic. Does the Panasonic up-convert to 1080i? If so, does its upconversion look better/worse than the Zenith's upconversion? If the Panasonic does upconvert, I'll probably want to go that route, wouldn't I, since extra stuff would have to be done any time my wife decided to watch ABC?

Thanks, again, for your help.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.