AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After more than 3 months of waiting, I’ve finally begun building the new sub for my HT set-up. I negotiated an agreeable work-arrangement with the domestic CFO as to how and when I would be able to commence with the build. After whittling down the ‘Honey-Do’ list to a manageable size, I was able to squeeze in a few weeks to invest in a subwoofer build and so I was off & running...

Yeah, I’ve been reading the 10+ THT threads with great interest and anticipation. I’ve gleaned significant helpful information from other people’s builds (learned from the errors of others!) and have collected useful shortcuts and procedures that I HOPE reduce potential errors in the building process.

I originally ordered the Table tube (TT) from BFM’s site, but after reading about the THT, I decided to get the THT plans as well. Comparing the two (and reading the reports about the THT in numerous posts), I opted to go with the THT mainly for two reasons: 1) greater output range, and 2) placement in the room— a THT that is 36x24x36 (vert) will fit in ‘discreetly’’ into the HT room. You can see in the images below how I planned on using the TT as a coffee table-type arrangement and how I can ‘hide’ the THT yet still maximize it’s potential via corner-loading. The illustration doesn’t show it, but the actual mouth of the THT will be 12-18” from the corner, not directly against it as depicted.

Before the build, I made a shopping list and acquired the following:

• Dayton DVC385-88 15” driver

• Bash 300W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier

• 3 sheets of 15/32” 4x8 Arauco Plywood — found some absolutely BEAUTIFUL sheets of this stuff at the local Lowes for $27/sheet! Void-free, flat & beautifully grained. Had me considering a stain, but I think I gonna go with basic black (most likely DURATEX).

• 6 tubes of the PL adhesive (plus a box of vinyl gloves to keep the nasty stuff at bay!)

• 10/32 bolts, lock washers & T-nuts.

• a new BFD 1124 (from ebay) for some post-construction tweaking with the REW & RS SPL meter.

I’m already 4 days into the build and have not taken any pics of the process so far — I figured photos of me scribbling out measurements and creating sawdust may only be captivating to a relatively small audience so I’ve plans to take some as the beast takes shape. So far the build has gone relatively pain & error-free...

• Dimensions scribed onto the 36x36 “base”

• Cut-out of access panel from base. (plunge-cut w/ circular saw & jig-sawed the corners)

• Installed panels 1 & 2

• Cut out woofer/driver opening on Panel 3 (plunge router with Jasper 200J Model 200 Circle Cutting jig. Great jig, by the way!); Installed the t-nuts with 5-minute epoxy; test fitted the Dayton. Good fit!

• Installed panel 3

• Installed panel 4 & 5

Next up....bracing for between panels 3 & 5, installing panels 6 & 7.....

Photos will be added as soon as I clean up my work area....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What's in the closet? Can that be used to house dual THT's?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Awesome man! Try both rear corners. I know you said the roll top desk has to stay but what if that corners a better option for bass and would allow you to actually corner load it at an angle? Could the roll top desk be moved to the corner that dedicated for the THT as of now? Or is there not enough room to corner load it in that corner? Im already looking to far into this haha. Enjoy the build!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/18190486

What's in the closet? Can that be used to house dual THT's?

hey, I'd love to have the set-up you put together! It not only looks great, but must sound awesome!

Unfortunately, in that closet resides a large oak bookcase loaded with both my wife's & my books.

Here's how the room looked initially back a year or so ago. Since this photo was taken (Superbowl sunday last February), I've changed a few things: one of those large bookcases is gone(but the one in the closet remains); the JBL speakers are gone (replaced by a pair of Magnepan MG12; phantom-center), and the teeny-weeny little sub (BIC H100) was soon replaced by an SVS PC12 (which was eventually sold to fund the THT).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18190489

Awesome man! Try both rear corners. I know you said the roll top desk has to stay but what if that corners a better option for bass and would allow you to actually corner load it at an angle? Could the roll top desk be moved to the corner that dedicated for the THT as of now? Or is there not enough room to corner load it in that corner? Im already looking to far into this haha. Enjoy the build!

You're not the first to suggest going the DUAL-THT route! "Lose the desk & add another THT!"
The desk weighs a ton! More importantly, its probably my wife's favorite antique (next to me)......It also has dual out-swinging doors that requires about 40+" to fully open. I've only about 30" in the proposed THT corner.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Show your wife my build pics..tell her " honey,it will be completely outta of the way".... that corner is the best place for the THT...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/18191048

Show your wife my build pics..tell her " honey,it will be completely outta of the way".... that corner is the best place for the THT...

Firstly, I wonder what kind of response I'd get from TWO THTs in a 2,500 cu/ft room? Thunderously violent, no doubt. My sons would love it!

Secondly, I wonder what kind of response two THTs would elicit from my wife downstairs? Equally violent?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My 21 year old son loves it... my daughter and the wife are not to crazy about it... women....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/18191335

My 21 year old son loves it... my daughter and the wife are not to crazy about it... women....

True!

My guys have been without a sub for nearly 2 months and are missing it big time every time they play a movie or gaming. The maggies are awesome but definitely NEED a good sub for a real HT experience.

The THT should remedy the situation adequately.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Something like Kanaris' sweet build here. That's twins stacked horns together.

dbl

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A /forum/post/18191190

Firstly, I wonder what kind of response I'd get from TWO THTs in a 2,500 cu/ft room? Thunderously violent, no doubt. My sons would love it!
Secondly, I wonder what kind of response two THTs would elicit from my wife downstairs? Equally violent?

Thats funny. Where in N. Cal are you?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a few pics from tonight's work: I couldnt do an awful lot tonight as I got home late and being the good neighbor, didn't want to be running power tools into the evening.

Added the two support braces between panels 3 (which hold the driver) and panel 5. From what i read this is the 'toughest' brace install as space in which to work is limited.

View over panel 1 looking towards panels 3 & 5 (braced):

View showing the two narrow braces in place:

Detail shot of the narrow space in which I had to squeeze my big mitts. I did remember to predrill both braces so I could use both the PL and screws to secure them:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice! looks like you're paying close attention to details.

dbl

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare /forum/post/18195685

Nice! looks like you're paying close attention to details.

dbl

I'm trying!

I've only had a few minor brain-locks so far—such as gluing & bracing panel 3 (w/ driver cutout) into place before realizing I had it upside down (the cutout was now NOT 3" from panel 1 as per the plans). Yikes! A quick flip got it in right before the PL adhesive set. This is despite the fact I had it clearly labeled "top" & "bottom"....

It's the little things that can sneak up & bite ya' if you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A /forum/post/18196805

I'm trying!

I've only had a few minor brain-locks so farsuch as gluing & bracing panel 3 (w/ driver cutout) into place before realizing I had it upside down (the cutout was now NOT 3" from panel 1 as per the plans). Yikes! A quick flip got it in right before the PF set. This is despite the fact I had it clearly labeled "top" & "bottom"....

It's the little things that can sneak up & bite ya' if you're not paying attention.

That was exactly my assessment. It is not an overly difficult build, but you need to stay focused to make it all go as planned.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More progress tonight....

Attached panel 6

Attached the 4/6 braces

Panel 6 attached. I decided to attach the 2 braces (screw & PL) directly to panel six before setting the panel in place; predrilled holes in panel 4. Made the attachment of these two braces MUCH easier than the last narrow braces on panels 3/5...

Top view showing the slightly wider space between the two panels...

Side view: Got 'em in straight with only a slight smear of the PL as the panel slide into place....

*NOTE: Some of the clamps I've been using are from Harbor Freight. Didnt cost much (cheap!) and sometimes you get what you pay for. I've already had 3 snap on me and a number of them are a real challenge to 'release.' Grrrrrr. Next time I want to supplement my existing clamp collection, I'll look elsewhere...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18201340

Ya, I have had several of those POS clamps snap on me too. I stick with the aluminum crank/bar versions now. They seem much more robust.

Yeah, live & learn.....

I had a number of the Irwin clamps, which were really well-made but unfortunately, they seemed to have 'taken themselves for a walk' from my garage along with a drill guide & several other tools late last year.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts