AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many here know me as the semi-professional fence sitter that I am. Well a good deal on a 711XU might well push me off the fence this week. I've been quoted $2750 and am trying to negotiate down to $2600.

For that select group who've seen both, if the difference between the 711XU and 75U were say $400, in image quality differences alone, would the extra 20% in price offer a noticeably better picture quality? Does the extra brightness noticeably help PQ even with decent light control?

·
Registered
185 Posts
HTCrazy, to me the diff would only be 100$ max if I had perfect light control.

Even when they're both running at their respective econo modes.

Now, if you didn't have perfect light control, 400$ diff would become more reasonable.

Keep in mind that this is only my humble opinion!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
But HT - what about the new XB31? It will be under $3K if you can just sit tight for a few more months.

What about DDR DLP that may solve the motion artifacting?

What about 12 degree mirrors?

Don't you think you're being just a bit hasty in your decision? I really think you ought to reconsider this purchase!

he he

·
Registered
185 Posts
chrisreeves, don't pester HTcrazy. I mean, "hasn't he been through enough" :)

If you're gonna go down that road, where does it end.

You might as well start mentioning a WXGA Panny or the new Panny 720 while you're at it... ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
One other thing the 711xu has in its favor is a 1.3 zoom lens vs a 1.2 for the 75u. This helps a great deal if you plan on using a 16:9 screen. If you properly space the pj for the screen, you can use maximum zoom on 16:9 mat'l and then use minimum wide for 4:3 (just a very small portion on the image will be on the screen mask. I do wish the 711xu could have had power zoom , but it is not too much trouble with manual zoom.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Why would you use the zoom at all instead of the s4:3 mode which auto centers a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen? I'm not doubting your info, I just don't know, as I haven't even built my screen yet for my 75u :)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris - Verrrrry funny. But for what its worth, I still prefer my method of considering a new PJ every month rather than yours of shelling out for a new one a month and losing money on the deal. Totally unrelated, but did you propose to the first woman you.. oh never mind. :D

Distress - WXGA Panny? 720? I'm above all that now. And just to prove it, I won't come back to the forum for months after I purchased the 711XU just so I won't be tormented by the WXGA Panny announcement (that should come within days of my purchase).

Have any of you guys seen both units in action?

·
Registered
133 Posts
HTCrazy,

I too was about to purchase the 711xu when I was told by a salesman that the 720 in in "another league." I didn't like the saleman's attitude much (and coincidentally he had not 711's to sell) but he got me thinking. Panasonic has yet to get back to me regarding the 720. The only spec. sheet I've seen listed nothing about HT use.

Robert,

I think you would want to use 4:3 zoomed instead of 4:3S so you can take advantage of the entire resolution of the projector for high resolution sources (computer games for example).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ooo Ooo Oooo he's gonna do it he's gonna do it he's . . .

Hi HT, Though I've seen both I haven't seen them side by side or spent any time in the menus of the 711 tweaking. I ended up with the 75U as you know, thinking I might exercise the option to upgrade to the 711. I don't feel the need to in the least. The money I saved will be easily spent on other nec items. It can more than cover the cost of a Da-lite HCCV 5x9 screen (aprox $350) for instance or buy an HDTV reciever. A good screen with masking will probably do more for you PQ than higher lumens on a DIY job screen. Brightness is very good, even in standard (econo) mode with a good bit of ambient light. I did my first event video presentation with it in front of 200 people and it was the hit of the party. The picture was vibrant. (the room was pretty dark but it could have handled more ambient light if it had to.) I also think there may be something to the observation that others have made, that the low power mode on the 75, if not better than the high power mode, is not any sacrifice of PQ except for the minor brightness difference. I only turn it up th high on rare occasions when I think the pq will benefit from it. On the 711 you notice the lowering of the punch factor more obviously when switching down, though if you leave it down you will probably adjust to it just fine.

re. 4:3 small, I believe that just works with the Svideo input though I can't say I've tried it. ( I'll look into it soon)

Off Topic; Are you keeping the 950? When I get mine I plan to get a Rotel home for a side by side comparison if I can. I don't know why more folks havn't done that. Local brick and mortar dealers should be more than willing to give you a few days to decide.

re. the purchase. If you got the bread and the significant other gives the green light I say go for it (either one). -bonedog

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Bonedog,

You need to go back and read the old thread about s4:3 ;) We confirmed that the s4:3 mode works for composite, s-video and component. Look at page 33-34 of your users manual :)

Where did you get a 9x5 HCCV screen for $350? Do you have your pj ceiling mounted or desk mounted? I thought the HCCV didn't do much for a ceiling mounted pj. Please PM me any details on the screen that you don't feel open to discussing here :)

Brando2,

I'm still a-bit confused about the 4:3 vs s4:3. If I have a 16:9 Screen, and show it as 4:3, then of course vertically it is off the map, and I would have to zoom down to get it to fit my 16:9. If I use s4:3, it does this for me. From what I gather though, the 4:3 uses all the pixels, and even zooming down, you're maintaining the pixel count, whereas the s4:3 mode loses the pixels to the left/right of the image (vertical black bars), and so you're losing some resolution. Interesting....Has anybody compared the two to see the true effect to picture? With a 1.2 zoom, how much of the 4:3 image would be overspilled from max zoom 16:9 to min zoom 4:3?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not having the projector I can only speak based on what I have read. I thought the 16:9 on both projectors only use 575 of the 700+ lines of vertical resolution. For most sources this is still below the resolution they contain. When using s4:3 you end up using those same 575 lines and also lose pixels on the left and right of the image. So a zoomed 4:3 contains a lot more pixels than a s4:3 image.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH NOOOOO!!!! They just accepted my $2600 offer. Now my fear of commitment is staring me down. Kind of like Anna Kournikova saying "sure, I'll marry you, but its gotta be today." And you reply "gulp, welllllll uh ok then!"

Brqndo - I too saw the specs on the 720 and thought they looked more oriented to presentation than video. Contrast and resolution wasn't any better, but lumins were higher, lan connectivity etc. Not exactly what the HT crowd is screaming for.

BoneDog - I'm willing to go an extra $3-400 for the added versatility of the extra lumens and zoom. And with the extra lumens, the ability to experiment with other filters. They went for the $2600 so fast, I'm wishing I started with $2500. Oh well...

I'm still not sure about the Outlaw 950. Great for movies, but for music its as bad as most inexpensive pre/pros. Being a fan of the warmer full blooded sound rather than the cooler, brighter and "analytical" sound I'd probably be a better candidate for the Rotel also.

I'll probably return and get the PJ. My kids were pretty pissed when I brought home a new pre/pro instead of a PJ. As they said, "the stereo sounds find already!!!" But ahh, seeing Scooby-Doo wall sized...

Anyone with any last opinions on why the 75U might actually be a better machine, price difference not withstanding??

·
Registered
133 Posts
HTCrazy,

If you don't mind could you PM me with contact info for the company that gave it to you for $2,600. I can either say you reffered me or keep you completely out of it. If you don't PM me I understand and no hard feelings.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy

Anyone with any last opinions on why the 75U might actually be a better machine, price difference not withstanding??

Shhhhhh...be vewy vewy quiet. Nobody say a word to discourage HT.

Go pull the trigger already :D

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brando, check for PM.

Robertmee, oh c'mon spook me! Dead pixels, out of date, waste of money next to the AE100, vertical banding, laughable contrast. Give me your best shot. And while were at it, just in case I run into Kournikova some day.. Any thoughts? :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll take one last stab at it HT:

you do know that the 75U's second RGB-in can also serve as a direct loop-through to an external monitor do you, huh, do you??? :)

The PJ doesn't even have to be turned on to get the RGB-out and this is one feature definetely NOT included on the 711XU.

Waahahahah..HAAAAAAHAHA...Hmmm...

Sorry

·
Registered
168 Posts
when I connect my pc to the to either rgb1 or rgb 2 it will not allow me to use small 4:3;however, i have a panny rp91 connected via a breakout cable to the same inputs it will allow me to select small 4:3.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by echo4747
when I connect my pc to the to either rgb1 or rgb 2 it will not allow me to use small 4:3;however, i have a panny rp91 connected via a breakout cable to the same inputs it will allow me to select small 4:3.
s4:3 is only supported by composite, s-video or component via breakout. See manual, page 33-34

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
you do know that the 75U's second RGB-in can also serve as a direct loop-through to an external monitor do you, huh, do you???

The PJ doesn't even have to be turned on to get the RGB-out and this is one feature definetely NOT included on the 711XU.
Whoa, stop the presses. That's a definite deal killer... well except that I have no idea how that could be useful in a hometheater setup. Not to mention unsure about how two sets of inputs can be used to produce an external output...

Either way, I'm just gonna have to wait for the next generation of PJ's as a Darwinian litmus test for the value of this feature before foolishly rushing in to anything just yet. :D

Rob - congrats on your purchase. And that 6 months deal with no payments sounds pretty good. Could you PM me with who's offering that deal?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.