AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning a woke up... turned on the system, only to find that I was getting just local channels via the panny. I quick re-set (ie, unplugging the unit) corrected the situation. The box reaquired all information and I got all the channels I was supposed to. Not that big a deal, but this is about the fourth time this has happened in the last month.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on what might cause it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
HI,

Yeah, I had to reset my Panny about three times, but only in a three week period. I exchanged it this week for the Sony unit and will keep the Sony! The menu is far superior and I find the Sony locks in and holds the stations better than the Panny. Picture quality is identical and this has been verified by another user who has the same tv I do (Panasonic Tau).

I liked the Panny when I had it, but I'm happier with the Sony.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same problem (only recvd locals). I pulled out the access card and when I put it back in, all the channels were once again available.

What's the deal with this. Has Panny addressed it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to confuse the issue any... but I've never entered my zip into the system (is that the problem?)... actually... I think I may have the first week I owned it and it gave me information for Hartford, Ct.... I live in NYC.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I haven't had a problem with it remembering my zip code, but it sure does seem like some of the info that it supposed to be getting from DTV must be getting lost somehow. Also, when I've seen this, it definitely has lost a bunch of the upper channels (I haven't really kept track, but channels above 300 or so sounds right; I know that the HBO channels are prt of what I'm losing), and those shouldn't be affected by the zip code.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
I really think you guys need to rethink this issue of resetting the box on a fairly regular basis. To say that you had to reset the box 3 times but "only in a 3 week period" is inexcusable for any STB. I've had the RCA for nearly a year and NEVER had to reset the box. I've had the Sony now for only a couple of days and haven't had to reset the box. By excusing the manufacturer of these obvious design flaws, we are giving them a pass on lousy electronics. It's essentially saying to them, "yeah, no problem, keep the design issues coming and work them out in the next generation or when you get a chance". We need to COMPLAIN to these guys and let them know we are NOT happy with a company that had over a year to get it right, and didn't, after the first STB was introduced.

I'm certainly not happy that I had to go through a Tosh, Panasonic and finally the Sony before I was happy (and even the Sony could have had a quieter fan), but I'm so happy there are no other issues, I'll gladly live with the fan noise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Really, how many of these reported 'issues' are related to the stb and how many should, in all likelihood, be attributable to the setup conditions of the satellite dish. For instance,

SKYRANCHR, if you can't 'lock' onto SAT B, how can you really expect to receive channels from that satellite. Are you using an oval dish? Have you had it installed professionally? If so, I would call them back and tell them to get re-position your dish.

Have any of you called 1-888-726-2377?

Honestly, I've had my Panasonic operating flawlessly for a month and I've experienced none of these problems....I'm sure I'm not alone.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
jps,

Keep in mind that Panasonic says you MUST have at least a signal strength of at least 85 on ALL transponders, to receive a satisfactory signal. This is not an editorial remark, it is Panasonic's own tech people saying this. Now, I would consider that a REAL problem, not imaginary, but real. I have never heard of any STB requiring that strong a signal by its manufacturer. This is not OE (operator error) this is ME (manufacturer's error)!!!!

I had this STB and had very very frequent picture breakups on the same dish, wiring and TV that did NOT result in this problem with an RCA, Toshiba & Sony STB. My signal strength was 85 on most transponders with the exception of a couple, which were only as low as 78!!! Panasonic said this was not acceptible and my STB was fine. I say R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have absolutely no problems pulling in hbo hd with my panasonic, and my signal strength is in the mid 70's. no video problems. no audio problems. A third of the country can't get that satellite in the 80's. I believe you got bad info from that tech rep. That's my opinion and it's based on my experiences. When someone posts that they are having a problem and I think I can offer advice that would be helpful, I try.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have read with alarming regularity the problems others are having with their panny stb's.Other than being slow as sh#t, the unit has performed flawlessly.Dss channels 199 & 509 are a sight to behold and CBS, ABC & fox are even better. No dropouts, pixalation or audio problems. I live approx. 55 and 35 miles from NYC's and Connticuts Towers. I put a silver sensor outside on a mast with rotor and it surprisingly locks on both locations with ease.

I am getting a distinct feeling that quality control at pannasonic is at fault here. That in itself is grave cause for alarm. Sure, I may be one of the luckey few who have a good one but if I am the exception not the rule, I am worried about longevity of their products.Between the tv and the stb, I have alot of money ($4500+)invested in this company' products and I would hate to keep "looking over my shoulder"for future malfunctions.

Is this normal for Pannasonic products or is it just the STBS?

Thanks all,

Gebstr83

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
jps,

I invite you to read for yourself in the thread "signifcant issue with Panny TU-HDS20" on page 2, a PANASONIC REPRESENTATIVE HIMSELF posted (under the name of Fragger) exactly what I described to you. He posts Panasonic's thoughts on these problems and I find these thoughts totally unacceptable to the consumer. When someone can not receive an HD program without dropouts EVERY DAMN MINUTE and the company is unwilling to take the receiver back, do you think that's a wise policy? Here is an obviously defective product that the company is essentially saying has a design flaw (needing a signal strength of at least 85 ON ALL TRANSPONDERS!!!), and yet they are unwilling to swap them out? Give me a break!

I'm glad you are having no problems with your STB, but you may well be in a minority.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hello All,

I spent 15 minutes talking with fragger (Stan) this morning and I have decided to return the Panny. I have tried everything to overcome its problems.

I bought a $50 ir repeater to inprove the performance of the remote.

I have encased the Panny to reduce the fan noise.

There are two things that I cannot overcome and with little encouragement from Stan I give up. The two things I really want out of this STB are

1. A zoom mode for watching Letterbox movies on TCM/AMC/SCI-FI...

2. A way to change video output modes via remote control.

Stan thinks that any issues with this STB should be addressed in the next rev. I my mind this make this box an Edsel.

I am trying to decide between the Sony and the Mits. I think I am leaning towards the Mits because I have a pronto and have no need for the Mits remote. Has anyone compared these two boxes?

--Rick

[This message has been edited by ricka (edited 03-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've had some problems with the Panny "losing" channels in the program guide. It seems like it happens when the unit has been off for a while and then gets turned on (it's only happened 2 or 3 times in the last couple of weeks), so I'm not sure if that's really a pattern). They come back after I play with it for a few minutes. The weird part is that it doesn't seem to affect all OTA channels or all DTV channels; I get some of each, just not everything I should be seeing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had to unplug mine and reset it about 4 times in the past month as well because I lose all Directv channels but my locals and 3 or 4 of the 100 range. All other channels show as unavailable. Once reset, everything is fine. I leave the TU-HDS20 on 24/7. Coincidentally I noticed on two of these occasions that Directv had actually dropped my subscription to the Family pack by "mistake", maybe somehow their sending that update caused a problem. The tech support advice is pretty useless, "the box is kind of like a computer and needs to be rebooted sometimes". I can live with having to reset it once in a while, but once a week seems a bit much.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ken,

I read that posting and I stand by my opinion that I believe the information that he gave you was inaccurate. You find his comments totally unacceptible, whereas I find them unbelievable. I am free to express my beliefs, and I think this 'serious design flaw' that you refer to is a figment of your imagination. I've had my panasonic stb for over a month now and have been receiving DirecTV via the elliptical dish now for about the same time, and I've had no problems with the reception of their hi definition feeds coming off satellite B, even in foul weather. And the signal strengths registering on my sat B transponders are 'significantly' below 85.

You say, "When someone can not receive an HD program without dropouts EVERY DAMN MINUTE and the company is unwilling to take the receiver back, do you think that's a wise policy?". When you refer to a HD program, are you referring to an over-the-air broadcast? Are you referring to the HD feed from DirecTV? In either case, before jumping to the conclusion that there's a problem with the receiver, I would take the time to troubleshoot the signal feed from the antenna (for ota) or dish first.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i set up the panny and oscilate between 68 and 78 on sat b but i have no dropouts. i vote build quality also. i also found a good solution to the lack of signal meter. in addition to the $5K i spent on this setup i added $75 for a guy with a little business called attic antennae to come realign my uhf with his spectrum analyzer. he originally put it in the attic when i built the house and he is doing a service call to tune me up.

g

------------------

-------------------------

Stealth Theater - PIII 1ghz/radeon dTV scaler, 550 Mhz/3DFusion dvd, Compaq MP2800 DLP, 45 x 80 screen, Lex DC1, Sunfire sub, Carver Amps, JBL in walls

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
jps,

Are the problems that I, and many other users of this box having, "figments of our imagination"?? I'm quite familiar with setups on these boxes and very familiar with troubleshooting procedures. How could you possibly explain that EVERY OTHER BOX I'VE TRIED (Toshiba/RCA/Sony) NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM? jps, this is the same setup, the same wiring, the same dish, the same location!!!! I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble understanding this. This Panny box simply can not function on HD satellite (to answer your question) for more than one minute without significant dropouts. I've already related to you and Panasonic my signal strength. I have no trouble with OTA HD signals on the Panny. I explained in great laborious detail to Panasonic this very fact. I was extremely precise in my troubleshooting procedures and very clearly explained the ONLY problem was with HD satellite, not HD OTA, not SD OTA, not SD from satellite, ONLY HD satellite. I explained to Panasonic that no other manufacturers box had any trouble with this signal strength on this exact same setup.

Now, that leaves only 2 possibilities doesn't it? This particular box is defective OR the design sucks. We know that Panny has many other undeniable confirmed design problems (noisy fan, incredibly slow guide, lack of remote control of the picture output settings etc). I would never argue that the picture quality is anything less than excellent BUT, these other issues are CLEARLY design problems. As far as my reception issues (and many others on this and other websites), its either very poor quality control with many defective receivers out there or another design issue (extremely intolerant behavior with anything other than an incredibly narrow range of signal strengths).

It is INEXCUSABLE for Panasonic to adopt the attitude that they will not take these boxes back or swap them out. INEXCUSABLE!!!!! If I had not bought this unit from an extremely reputable dealer, in this case Crutchfield (and I heartily recommend them to anyone), I would have been stuck with an UNUSABLE STB. If you can defend this policy jps, than you are doing yourself and ever other consumer of high end equipment an incredible disservice.

I will not defend a manufacturers sloppy design or sloppy QC. This is part of the problem with so many products. Consumers are so willing to accept crap and sloppy design, that it gives the manufacturers "carte blanche". Why should a manufacturer have any concern about quality when the consumer apparently has no concern?

·
Registered
147 Posts
So the 'only' reception problem that you experienced was with hbo hd? Please explain why I'm so lucky then. I've seen other postings about people having problems with hd satellite reception, but not those that specifically identify it as a only a panasonic problem. I haven't had a problem at all since its installation, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Oh yeah, the fan noise doesn't bother me, I actually like the guide although it could take a bit of speeding up, and I have absolutely no use for the picture output switching feature. Seems to me that none of these receivers is perfect. All have plusses and minuses. And I'm sure the return policies of Panasonic are no different than any the other electronics manufacturers.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
jps,

It boggles my mind that the fan noise wouldn't bother you (assuming you don't have some type of significant hearing loss). No matter how much other people have liked or disliked this box, everybody else complains about the fan noise. I'm questioning your objectivity. I actually liked the guide too, but I disliked how slow the guide was.

As far as other manufacturer's policies are concerned, I doubt that other manufacturers would have been so stubborn as not to authorize a swap out for a receiver that simply does not function in one of the most important areas it is designed for. If this was not a design issue as you state, than its even MORE amazing that a return would not have been authorized. Amazing. You've got to be a little objective here jps.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jps... for the record... I had the same type of problems ken had.. problems I didn't have with the rca and now don't have with the sony.

By the way... my unit functioned beautifully for the first month or so... how long did you say you had your's?

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.