AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my original Replay to a 160 gig Maxtor drive the other day since the original harddrive was starting to "chirp" upon power up and has me worried about a failure.

A couple of things for folks who are thinking about upgrading.

1. Its a cinch. I went with the linux boot floppy since I use windows98. Just connect the original to one IDE controller and the new drive to the other IDE controller disconnecting all your cd-roms/windows harddrives.

Then boot to floppy and login as root, type RTVPatch and set the source/target drives which won't have you confused because RTVPatch does a great job of probing the harddrives telling you which is which.

2. Image the system partition and then run the Patch option. I don't reccomend trying to copy the shows since I finally gave up after about 8-hours and it was still only at 57%.

Its not that hard and in the end, you can put a "backup" drive in the closet and feel better about being able to repair future problems.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Correct. Just to make it clear to all, the linux boot floppy would be used for Win98/WinME or anything else besides the NT derivatives.

And hopefully we will soon be doing that with large clusters for those RRB upgrades. :cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
"RRB" upgrades?

I'm hoping that we can change the cluster size and still copy the data over. That would be *really* cool.

I just got a 120GB drive last night for my birthday, so I'm off to download the boot floppy. (I don't have Windows, so that's my only option.)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
RRB= Really Really Big (perhaps a relative term these days?)

RRBD= Really Really Big Drive

Yes that would be cool to shuttle the mpegs over to the large clusters but I'm not sure if that will be possible?

·
Registered
166 Posts
What would be really cool is if we could get Linux to read the Replay file system as a regular file system. Then we just do a simple copy after creating a blank file system. Do we know enough about the file system to do that (at least in theory)?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I don't think we are there yet. We can replace files with extract_rtv but there are some limitations.

We'll have to ask toots or FlipFlop about moving mpegs after resetting the cluster size? toots was sure able to get those photos to "fling" over there under all kinds of conditions.. and even in spite of the KenL!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.