AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you folks were so nice before, I'm going to pester you again.

If you didn't read the other thread, we have a pair of 2CEs that I'm trying to set up. Along with them, we have a VCC1 center and a pair of (old) Infinities for rear speakers.

The house we moved into belonged to a couple of musicians/producers who wired it for surround, so there are wall-plates to hook the speakers up to. I have no idea of the condition of the wiring, though.

Here is what puzzles me---the former owners clearly had to know something about music and hi-fi. Two of the three bedrooms and the family room were filled with assorted music equipment with knobs and switches and wires, and there were several different musical instruments laying around. They had a few different speakers, the main surround ones being hooked up in the living room. However, from what I know of speaker set-up, the positioning they had is terrible---and, since they wired the house already, we're pretty much tied into the same speaker placement.

I'm attaching a small drawing of the room floorplan.

The living room is about 18' by 15', then there's a step-down to the family room, which is another 15' by 15' (for a total "great room" length of about 33'). Black (with slashes) are walls, dotted black lines indicate the step-down to the family room (and the small living room-level platform in the family room that I *think* is part of the original foundation of the house). Doors are in brown, with windows and archways in pale blue. Regular blue for the TV and the couch, which I believe is intended to be the sweet-spot of the room. The front speakers are in red, with an arrow to indicate which direction they're pointing (you'll notice that they're projecting sound perpendicularly to each other). Directly behind each of them is the wall-plate they connect to, which leads back to the receiver, located near the TV.

Am I right that this is a terrible arrangement of the speakers? What would be better placement? I'm not trying to fill the whole space with perfect sound, but just want to focus it in the living room.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.