AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I apologize for bringing up something discussed to death but this is my first 'DIY' type thing and I am under a rather tight time constraint. My wife wants the TV off the ground because of our baby starting to climb the cabinet. My dad can come down (I live out of town) this weekend coming to help, so I'm trying to get this idea sorted before then.

I understand everything I have read about mounting to metal studs and the complications it involves. My problem is I find 10 different answers for every possible scenario. One person says it won't work, the other person says it will, and so on. I understand that ideally I guess I would run 2x4s behind the metal studs to full height. I'd rather not open the wall up since this is an apartment building that's very snobby and would love to charge us $7000 to 'repair' something we did, regardless of how professional or valid it was.

Anyway, the TV is a Sharp 42" Aquos that weighs 48lbs. The mount is a Sanus VMSA (silver) that weighs 28 lbs. My total weight comes to 76lbs.

I ordered a 10-pack of Toggler BB style mounts that claim to hold 400+ lbs in 5/8 drywall + 25gauge steel studs, which is what I have.

My plan is to take a pice of plywood that is much taller than the wall mount itself, and mount 5 toggle bolts in to the stud on each side.

So there are 2 togglers on each side, for 4 total, that are actually anchoring the mount through the plywood and the 5/8 drywall to the metal studs. The other 3 on each side are just to hold the plywood to the wall to try to distribute more weight. I put two 'above' the mount and only one 'below' the mount because I read that the top parts of the mount/studs are under more stress and different kinds of force than the lower ones.

I don't know if this is overkill or not, but what I did was factor 10 times the weight of the unit, or 760lbs, and go to toggler.com, put in my specs (5/8 drywall, 7-12 inches away from wall because the arm articulates to 9.5" max, 701-800lbs, 8 anchors) and their tool said that 1/4"-20 BB Togglers would work. Fastenal had these in a 10-pack for $12.99 which is what I ordered.

So that having been said, it's going to be ugly, but aesthetics are literally 100% irrelevant. We might hang like a black piece of fabric cut out or something in the end, but we really don't care. It's hard to when your floors are littered with toys and cookie crumbs right? lol

We just want the TV off the ground so booboo doesn't grab on to it or it's stand and try to climb up on it.. topple over and bounce her head off a speaker or something. What would be fantastic is mounting the receiver and the playstation we use to serve media up on the wall too, which we might do over to the right on a separate set of studs.

The wall is a partition between our living room and the 2nd bedroom, has nothing else mounted on it. I don't actually know the gauge of the metal in the wall, but as I understand apartments/condos use higher quality stuff than what you find at home depot. Does it even get smaller than 25 gauge because that's what Toggler listed as their test item for 5/8 drywall up to 460lbs.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I've also posted over at the DIY forums but was told that the togglers I am using are not for metal studs, despite togglers .pdf stating that they are for use in drywall with metal studs, and work for *drywall alone* up to 400+ lbs of tension so I'm just posting around so that I can either tell my dad to make the trek down for the weekend or to forget it.

Should I put lag screws through the middle of the mount just in to the plywood for the hell of it, too?

The last question/confusion I have, is, inside the hole I drilled just to see how thick our drywall is, I see that there appears to be a gap between the drywall and the metal stud. The drywall is not flush to the metal of the stud.. I can stick something in the wall and it goes quite far in before it touches the stud, compared to how thick the drywall is.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,898 Posts
your metal stud wall may have some kind of horizontal furring that the drywall is attached to, OR perhaps they did a staggered stud wall, but if is a partition wall in your space I'm stumped.

Came back with another thought. They may have needed to put in an extra thick wall construction to make room for a big support beam or other infrastructure and what you found is the stud for the bedroom. You need to look to the right or left for the studs for the wall in the living room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to check the neighbouring studs to see if they are staggered.. and the two studs to the left and the right are both flush with the drywall as expected. I hit the metal stud (which I can see) about 5/8 of the way in. This works for me, as the mount, when the tv is flush to the wall, can put it on an offset.. so I can still get the TV centered in the room using studs with the bracket 16" off.

Once the togglers are in I guess I will just have to mount the wall bracket and hang off it, see if it seems sturdy..

Edit: I think I found what you mean. I appreciate your advise.

I don't think my togglers will be in tomorrow so I will have to wait until next weekend to do this. I'm going to check back here though in case anyone else comes by and wants to yell "STOP!!!"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bumping this thread due to a similar question... I have the Sanus VMPL3 and wish to mount my 60" Pioneer PRO-151 plasma with it to my bedroom wall. The mount is a dual option ultra-low profile or tilt mount (with different supplied brackets in the box for tilt or flush). I also live in a high-rise apartment complex with metal studs. In our living room on the opposite side of the wall, my apartment came with a 42" LG LCD that was premounted by the apartment complex staff with an articulating mount (I'm not sure what kind it is, I'll see if I can ask the complex if necessary) that extends about 10-12" out. What worries me is that Sanus, on the first page of their manual, states not to use this mount with metal studs. I haven't decided on which option I was planning to use (tilt or flush), but will I be OK with using the toggles as mentioned above with either tilt or flush mount, is tilt more risky, or should I abort the installation all together? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.