AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want a frontend that I can,

1. Put like 8 or 9 tuners in my server and none in the htpc around the house.

2. Have metadata for my movies (currently using media browser with metabrowser)

The options I have found are

1. Sagetv - I installed the trial of this and after I added all my movies it took a really really long time to look at them, they never used the metadata, but it does use the tuners like I want with the media center on my server and clients at all the HTPC's $80 for the server and $30 for each TV.

2. BeyondTV - Have not installed yet hoping to figure out if it will use meta data, but price is about $10 more than sage total (90 for server 30 for client).

3. Media Portal - Setting up EPG just sucks.

Im on windows 7 and currently using media center with media browser. I keep loosing tuner function after sleeps and hibernates and have to reset it up which is a PITA. Also it sucks to set up recordings b/c I can not remote desktop into my server and open WMC to schedule.

So what would be my best option? Maybe I am setting up sage wrong I do not know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
the server is running win7 and the HTPC? You shouldn't be having a problem with it losing tuner function when it sleeps. Also I wouldn't hibernate as sleep is pretty much just as effective. Are these USB or PCI tuners? If USB check to see if your pc's set to power off USB ports in sleep.

I'd suggest fixing the problem with tuner losing function as I doubt it's then win7 problem.

I've been having problems with my pcie A188 card not working sometimes. I just assumed it was because i moved the PC and since the tuners connected to the cable the card was just loose. Nothing a reboot didn't fix though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think MS needs to add some type of remote recording setup thingy for their pc's. It'd be nice if I could use my WM device and record tv shows on my HTPC. The technology's there, hell directtv and uverse allow programing like this why can't microsoft.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18215620

I think MS needs to add some type of remote recording setup thingy for their pc's. It'd be nice if I could use my WM device and record tv shows on my HTPC. The technology's there, hell directtv and uverse allow programing like this why can't microsoft.

+1, It would be nice to control my Living Room HTPC from the bedroom.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18215609

the server is running win7 and the HTPC? You shouldn't be having a problem with it losing tuner function when it sleeps. Also I wouldn't hibernate as sleep is pretty much just as effective. Are these USB or PCI tuners? If USB check to see if your pc's set to power off USB ports in sleep.

I'd suggest fixing the problem with tuner losing function as I doubt it's then win7 problem.

I've been having problems with my pcie A188 card not working sometimes. I just assumed it was because i moved the PC and since the tuners connected to the cable the card was just loose. Nothing a reboot didn't fix though.

Well hibernate uses 6 watts (powered down is 5) and sleep is around 30watts. It adds up since I have 4 HTPC's.

Yes they all use windows 7. Currently I have 1 or 2 tuners in every HTPC 90% are are USB. I will verify that ALL usb ports are powered since my remote wakes it maybe only like half are powered durring the hibernate. It only does it every now and then but my old lady isn't very tech savy...

If I can fix having to reprogram the tuners I would love to stay with media center even though it is a PITA to set up recordings.

And yes remote recording would be nice or even just allow us to remote desktop into it...

Thanks for the input so far guys

·
Registered
837 Posts
wow 30 watts? really? sleep on my laptop only uses like .5 watts. Guess it's time to bustout a kill-a-watt and see how much my HTPC's using. Wouldn't you be better off putting all your tuners in one machine then sharing the recorded tv folder through all of them? I'm assuming that doesn't allow for live TV.

You should be able to remote desktop or atleast use logmein. I remember media center shutting down whenever I use them but I can open it up again and it works but can't remember if it was logmein or remote desktop or both that works that way.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
My PC's are under 10W in sleep mode (S3 sleep) At 30w you probably are only going into "away mode" or S1. If any fans are running you are NOT getting S3.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:

Send back the unit for repair. I bought 2 of them 6 months ago and one of them kept suffering from the problem of disappearing. I just sent it back to Avermedia and they replaced it with another one.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick /forum/post/18215402

1. Sagetv - I installed the trial of this and after I added all my movies it took a really really long time to look at them, they never used the metadata, but it does use the tuners like I want with the media center on my server and clients at all the HTPC's $80 for the server and $30 for each TV.

You should search the Sage forums for Sage Movie Wall, SageMC, Metadata Importer (BMT), etc. There are ways (not hard) to get Sage to use metadata. There's also a "port" of MyMovies in the works.

And don't underestimate the value of having extenders that aren't crippled

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18215620

you can, its called an xbox.

but i think will definitely be in 8mc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts